Premed 101 Forums

connection with faculty member=better chance of getting in?

Guest cavity1984

Guest cavity1984

Hello guys!

Does having connections with dentistry faculty member (i.e working closely with dentistry professors and research scientist) help you getting into that dental school? Do you know anyone who got into dental schools with OKAY GPA (3.3) b/c he/she work with the faculty member before? Just wondering if such things happen alot in Canadian schools. Thanks!

Professors usually have nothing to do with the admissions process. I doubt sucking up to a professor while doing research could do anything to improve your chances of getting into dentistry other than giving you something dental related to talk about if you get an interview.

GPA and DAT score my friend.

Guest zippy5678

if you have "strong" connections with someone + that someone is involved administratively in the faculty and has his or her hands in things like admissions + there is no doubt that you are a deserving student, then for sure this will make a difference and i think it will make your life easier. But don't think that knowing someone alone will help you. These decisions are made by all members of the admissions committee and not by individual persons, and so if there's anything about you such as low GPA, etc. that will give them the reason to raise their eye brows, then even your "strong" connection, no matter how strong it is, won't be able to pull your a$$.

The point is: you have to do your work first, AND THEN help like that can certainly become handy.

cheers,

zz

Guest kellyl20

without the required competitive GPA, you will not get pass the office girls no matter who you know ie no interview:D

Once you get an interview is another matter....

Guest zippy5678

exactly, kelly puts it very nicely, you need to do your work to get past the office chicks.. once you pass them, *in a stentorian voice* THE WORRRLD WILL OPENN ITS DOORRRS TO YOU.. ah, sorry i'm just being a little overly dramatic today..

zz

Archived