Premed 101 Forums

additional fee to send my DAT score to AADSAS?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

As part of my registration fee, I can select up to five dental schools to receive my DAT transcripts (DAT scores).

I would also like to apply for US dental schools too, but not 100% which ones yet, so can I just ask the CDA to send my score to AADSAS? does AADSAS count as one dental school?

If anyone is in the same situation, let me know how you do it. Thanks!

Guest excitotox

Hey Smooth_operator,

I was in the same boat as you last year. I have applied to both the U.S and Canada, so I have some experience and advice to share.

With regards to AADSAS, they DO NOT photocopy transcripts and forward them to each school (pretty stupid, since you are paying them a lot of money). Each U.S. dental school does not accept DAT transcripts from AADSAS anyway. According to every school's website, official DAT transcripts must be forwarded to the school directly from the CDA (or ADA, if you wrote the American DAT).

Since you don't know what US schools you are interested in, here is a suggestion (this is what I did). For your first five transcripts, send them to five schools in Canada where you plan on applying to (even if you decide not to later on). When it comes time to apply to the U.S. schools, pay the CDA to forward transcripts to each individual school. DO NOT forward a transcript to AADSAS because it's useless and a waste of money. To forward additional transcripts other than the first five, it will cost you around $25 for the FIRST transcript and $7 for subsequent transcripts (send all your transcripts to the US at the same time, so you only have to pay the $25 once).

I hope this helps,

M

UofT Dent class of 2009

Guest excitotox

What you should do is call each school that you are interested in!

Some schools are Canadian-friendly, some are not. Most schools accept the Canadian DAT. The only school that has told me that they don't accept the Canadian DAT is SUNY at Stony Brook.

Personally, I would avoid the State schools. Those schools usually reserve spots for residents of that state.

The schools that you want to apply to are the private ones. They are usually open to all applicants (no matter what state or country you are from). That list of schools include: Harvard, Upenn, NYU, Boston U, Tufts, Marquette, Columbia, and etc.

I have been told by the University of California schools (i.e. UCLA) that they don't accept Canadians. So be careful where you apply.

Therefore, make sure to do your research, make a list of potential schools, and MOST IMPORTANTLY call each school.

Good Luck.

Archived