Premed 101 Forums

University of Toronto Dental School Biochemistry Requirement

REQUIREMENT: One full year course (or two half year courses) in general biochemistry. This course should cover protein chemistry and the chemistry of other biomolecules, cellular metabolism and molecular biology.

I am a student at Western University. I have completed 0.5 of this requirement by taking the following course at Western: "Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 2280". However, I am wondering what other half course would count for general biochemistry? The only other 2nd year level Biochemistry course at UWO is for upper year Food and Nutrition students only... and the remaining options don't seem like "general" biochemistry:

Biochemistry 3381A - Biological Macromolecules
Biochemistry 3382A - Biochemical Regulation
Biochemistry 3385B - Human Biochemistry
Biochemistry 3386B - Clinical Biochemistry
Biochemistry 3390B - Advanced Methods for Biochemistry

Will any of these courses count towards the requirements for general biochemistry? Do other universities offer an additional "half year" course in general biochemistry? I also would want to complete this requirement in summer school as I am in my 4th year and would either have to take it this semester (possibly tank my GPA as biochem is not my strongpoint), or take an additional semester in the following year which would interfere with entering into a Masters program in September (is doing this in the summer a bad idea?). Also, I have a 0.5 Pass/Fail credit remaining - would it be possible to turn a a prerequisite course into a pass/fail and still have it count?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! 

Hello,

It's probably for your best interest to email the school and ask them specifically if those courses count towards the requirement. I took a second year and a third year biochemistry course to fulfill this requirement. Perhaps you could search for a follow up third year course at your school?

Regarding taking courses at other universities, many of my friends took courses at ryerson and athabasca to fulfill their requirements.

For your pass/fail question, I emailed them and they said Pass/Fail credit counts towards the prerequisite courses. 

On 1/3/2023 at 9:05 PM, kim90 said:

Hello,

It's probably for your best interest to email the school and ask them specifically if those courses count towards the requirement. I took a second year and a third year biochemistry course to fulfill this requirement. Perhaps you could search for a follow up third year course at your school?

Regarding taking courses at other universities, many of my friends took courses at ryerson and athabasca to fulfill their requirements.

For your pass/fail question, I emailed them and they said Pass/Fail credit counts towards the prerequisite courses. 

Thank you for your response,

I emailed UofT a couple days ago and am waiting on their email, but I went ahead and added a biochem course to my coming semester. Best of luck to you!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/5/2023 at 12:54 PM, jr08 said:

Thank you for your response,

I emailed UofT a couple days ago and am waiting on their email, but I went ahead and added a biochem course to my coming semester. Best of luck to you!!

Did you end up hearing back from them whether cell bio can be used?