Premed 101 Forums

Unfortunately UofT doesn’t assess all applicants’ ECs and essays; there is a cut-off GPA threshold set every year depending on the applicant pool (I think they look at complete files of around 2000 of 4000+ applicants). Last year I believe the threshold was 3.89 non-weighted (but with grad bonuses and academic accommodations factored in)- this can be found in the 2022 recap video. It could definitely change this year so keep your head high!!

On 1/3/2023 at 5:17 PM, kimchi squared said:

Unfortunately UofT doesn’t assess all applicants’ ECs and essays; there is a cut-off GPA threshold set every year depending on the applicant pool (I think they look at complete files of around 2000 of 4000+ applicants). Last year I believe the threshold was 3.89 non-weighted (but with grad bonuses and academic accommodations factored in)- this can be found in the 2022 recap video. It could definitely change this year so keep your head high!!

That video was confusing and very misleading. I was accepted to UofT last year with a 3.81 cumulative GPA, and 3.89 weighted GPA - which is why i'm pretty sure they were referring to 3.89 as the weighted GPA cutoff in the video. I have no idea how dropping weighted GPA will affect the cutoffs this cycle, but you should apply because you never know. 

1 hour ago, forgotmyusername said:

That video was confusing and very misleading. I was accepted to UofT last year with a 3.81 cumulative GPA, and 3.89 weighted GPA - which is why i'm pretty sure they were referring to 3.89 as the weighted GPA cutoff in the video. I have no idea how dropping weighted GPA will affect the cutoffs this cycle, but you should apply because you never know. 

Congratulations!!! They actually specifically referred to the 3.89 cutoff as the "Raw GPA" and specified that this was with grad bonuses, extenuating circumstances, and special considerations factored in before weighting. The lowest OMSAS GPA (cGPA) with an offer was stated to be 3.55, which aligns with your experience. I agree that it's a little confusing but I'm not sure how much more credible you can get from the admissions office themselves.  Link: https://vimeo.com/723734676/1ac04920a2 

9 hours ago, pumpkin17 said:

No. 3.89 doesn't refer to the weighted GPA. It refers to cGPA with Grad bonuses, other modifications factored in. 

Hi! I should have been clearer - I was a regular applicant who did not do grad school, have special considerations, or write an explanation essay. I know the video says that, which is why it’s confusing because it’s either wrong or I was admitted by mistake (lol)

2 hours ago, forgotmyusername said:

Hi! I should have been clearer - I was a regular applicant who did not do grad school, have special considerations, or write an explanation essay. I know the video says that, which is why it’s confusing because it’s either wrong or I was admitted by mistake (lol)

Is your cGPA factoring in Winter 2020 and part-time summer courses? Ik OMSAS does that automatically but UofT doesn’t include those in their gpa calculation. 

Just now, kimchi squared said:

Is your cGPA factoring in Winter 2020 and part-time summer courses? Ik OMSAS does that automatically but UofT doesn’t include those in their gpa calculation. 

I did not do any summer courses, and that’s a good question I’m not sure if it factored in winter 2020 or not. My cGPA with winter 2020 was 3.81 when I applied, and would have been lower than that if UofT did not count the winter 2020 semester