Premed 101 Forums

The Dental Dilemma!

Guest Spencer

Guest Spencer

Hi Dental Folks!

I'm not sure if many of you are acquainted with my particular situation. I'm a recent high school graduate (Class of 2005) and I have been perusing and occassionally contributing to these boards for the past two years and today I found myself in a pretty big dilemma! I was accepted to the Bachelor of Dental Science program at the University of Melbourne in Australia. The program is 5-years and upon graduation will allow students to practice general dentistry in all Australian states, New Zealand and the UK (I'm not sure about the last one!). Tentatively, I was set to go to McGill to begin my undergrad career in Arts and Science...however...with this offer...I'm not quite sure what I should do.

I would appreciate any insights you could give me!

I know that the qualification is not transferrable to Canada and that I would need to enroll in a Qualifying-Program of some sort plus write the NDEB exams in order to get the DDS-equivalent.

The tuition will be roughly ~$36,000 AUD per year...and the course info can be found here: www.unimelb.edu.au/HB/areas/MDENTAL.html

Some additional questions I have...is it difficult to get into the Qualifiying-Program at UofT? Is there anyway I can get SOME transfer credits?

So yeah...what would you do in my shoes? I'm just curious what other people think is the correct course of action!

Spencer

Guest marbledust

Spencer,

Just out of curiousity, how many programs in how many different disciplines in how many countries did you apply to?

:rollin

Congrats on the acceptance--but I thought you were hardcore meds when I recently chatted with you in the chat room.

Guest Spencer

MARBLE!

You've found me out...*scurries away*

LOL...Only dentistry...and only this university.

I wouldn't have it any other way =P.

Who knows...I might become an Oral Maxillofacial Surgeon...maybe that was my plan all along...then I'll be meds as well as dents!

I was tempted to apply to the UK...but too expensive!

Spencer

Guest McGillianaire

Hi Spencer,

Not sure if this helps at all since I don't have much experience in the dental world but as a McGill student who wants to go into dentistry someday, I feel like I could contribute a bit. First of all, are you sure that dentistry is really what you want to do? Because if you're diehard into it, then I think you should take the opportunity now...because McGill arts and sci is a pretty tough degree. Science at McGill is not by any means easy...it's very competitive and alot of hard work and who knows if you'll get what you want at the end? Basically everyone in McGill sci wants to go into medicine. On the other hand though, Montreal is a great city and I have to say that this past year (my first year at McGill) was one of the best years of my life. The undergrad experience is priceless. Also you'll have a very well-rounded education from this degree, and lots of doors will open up for you once you graduate.

Again not sure if this helps but it's just my 2 cents!

hmm.. Well, as you already stated that you understand the degree from Aussie is not recognised in America. So after your 5 years in Aus, then you have to apply to QP program in Can or equivalent program in US to be able to practise in America. As far as I know the 2 years QP program in UT and UWO is about 36K+instruments per year, and it is very competitive. So if you really want to utimately practise in N.A. I think you should reconsider due to the cost and uncertainty. Yet, if you don't mind practising down under, I encourage you to accept that offer. I hope this clears it up a little bit for you.. Good Luck

Guest allycat03

Well it all depends on where you want to practice. If you are adament about practicing in NA then I think you should do an undergrad at Mcgill (or Concordia) and go from there.

If you want to practice in Austrailia or UK then accept the offer. I wouldn't gamble on being able to get into qualifying programs to be able to return to NA. If by any chance you don't get in, you would be forced to work in a region where your degree is recognized (which may not make you happy) or return to North America having wasted some time and money, and having to start over.

Good luck on your decision.

Guest Dent08

I have a friend that went to Australia for dentistry as a last resort. He tried desperately to get into dent in Canada but unfortunately (like many others) did not succeed. He decided he wanted to be a dentist even if it meant he could not return to practice in Canada. Why not try to get into dent in Canada first? Then look at Australia if all else fails. You are still young. Whats the rush?

Guest Spencer

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all of your awesome contributions. After much deliberation...and introspective thought...I've reached my decision.

*drum roll*...

I've decided to stay in Canada.

It was a tough decision, nonetheless...but I think I made the right one. As a Canadian citizen, I have many opportunities and options open to me that would be denied if I went to Australia. I figure I'll give myself a chance here and see what comes of my undergrad education. It's kind of daunting, I don't know anyone who graduated from McGill undergrad who made it into med/dent school (though I'm sure there are many). I also asked myself whether I wanted to be a dentist for the rest of my life and my honest answer was I DON'T KNOW. So, these next four years, I hope to find my true calling in life. I don't think I'm mentally/emotionally mature enough to relocate to a country so faraway on my own anyway!

Well...I need to find out what I need to bring to McGill with me as move-in day is in about two weeks time. I just wanted to thank everyone once again for all of your input. It was much appreciated.

Spencer

Archived