Premed 101 Forums

Dental Instruments

Guest Spencer

Guest Spencer

Hello Everyone,

I will find out in about a week's time whether I will get accepted to dental school or not. I just had a few questions regarding the cost of instruments. How much and what instruments are dental students expected to purchase? I know there will be dental suppliers that the school goes through...but what sort of instruments are we talking about? and at what price? I'm just afraid they'll make us buy a freakin' dental clinic before they let us graduate!

If anyone has any insights, that would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Spencer

Guest Dent08

The kit list for each school is different, but big ticket items they share are: slow/highspeed Handpieces, articulator, curing light, dentoforms, etc.

Dental schools have deals with suppliers that get you better prices than dentists in private practice can get.

Kit prices range from 6 to 10 thousand for your first year depending on the school.

You'll use most of these tools later in private practice, so you're not throwing any money away.

Guest DreamCatcher

Why in UWO we have to pay the dental instruments each year?

Y1: $ 9215

Y2: $ 10685

Y3: $ 6659

Y4: $ 6082

which works out to be $32641 for four years.

On the other hand, UofA for example, they only pay the dental instrument fee once in the first year (~10K)...

Any ideas?

Guest Justanotherkeener

Hey dreamcatcher,

Actually at the U of A, instrument fees are paid in each of the 4 yrs as well.

1st: 10k

2nd: 8k

3rd: 3k

4th: $500

So although it is less money in total, there are fees each year.

These fees are from the U of A dental brochure

Archived