Premed 101 Forums

Finish Masters degree of just go to dent school?

Guest dentdude01

Guest dentdude01

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what would be best in the long run for someone who would like to eventually do a dent specialty like ortho or oral and max surgery....finish the masters program (ive done one year, should have one year left), or just go to dental school should i be accepted?? Thanks!

Ive heard that for these specialties, research experience is an asset and would help someone get in to these specialties....

Guest belledentiste

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think having a master's will make a difference when it comes to getting into specialty programs like oral and maxillofacial surgery. A lot of my friends (graduated dentists) tell me that schools like U of T prefer students who have done at least one year of residency. I think the conditions are different for people in the States. For example, Penn Dental is a very well-know school in the US and a lot of their students tend to get into the specialties that they want (my cousin told me the inside scoop!). In Ontario, for e.g., there are that many positions for specialty programs, so it makes it more competitive.

Besides, don't you have to finish your Masters before starting dental school? I know a few friends who, under conditional acceptance, had to finish their degrees before starting med school.

If I were you, I'd finish the degree. You worked this hard on your thesis, you may as well get that MSc. On the bright side, when you finish dental school, you'll have all these letter after your name: HBSc., M.Sc., D.D.S.

anyway, good luck with everything. I'm sure everything will work out in the end.

Guest kellyl20

Just go to dent school and then do the Masters in your specialty, at least for UT that is what you should do.

As for doing 1 year residency, it is the same as working for 1 year in private practice, again for UT. For oral-max at UT, it helps if you are the top student and/or the top for that category in your undergraduate dent For specialty in the US, do dent undergraduate in the US.

Guest Kicoati

Hey there,

UofT requires you to complete your masters degree before starting dental school and no deferral will be granted for sake of finishing outstanding graduate work. Same goes for UWO. I had a conversation with the head of Oral&Max. Surgery at UofT before and he mentioned that residency is highly preferred in a candidate who wants to get into this particular specialty @ UofT at least (more specifically, this is what he said "It is not a written admission requirement, but I can tell you that if you don't have hospital dentistry residency, you are not going to get in").

In addition, no matter research experience is an asset or not, it will never harm your application, plus if you do well in your masters you will get good references regarding your research capability and such. However, I must be honest that what's even more important is to make the right connections with people in the field you want to get into.

Cheers,

Kicoati

Guest dentdude01

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I didnt realize that we had to do a year of residency before doing a specialty...wow you learn something new everyday!

In particular, I am interested in UofM. They never mentioned that i had to finish my masters degree in order to start dent, nor do i think they have a deferal policy. I think if you do get in, and are in the middle of a masters program and want to continue, you would just have to reapply the following year. I'm still really stuck about what to do, i wish there was a deferal policy. I would really like to have a masters degree, but at the same time do not want to miss my chance (if it should come, that is)! Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!?!!

Guest kellyl20

Well, your dental specialty is a masters degree if getting a masters is of a concern to you.

If you are interested in getting into the dental specialties at UT, should aim to be top of the class in that category. Being tops means doing very well there and also being well liked by that department. With the exception of Max-F Surgery, doing a year's hospital residency is not a must, working is just as good.

Archived