Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Forces Reserves as an extracurricular

Hi, I'm an third year electrical engineering student at McGill, and I've been enrolled in the reserves as an officer cadet (élève-officer) for 3 years now. Been "deployed" a few time to assist with local floods and Covid. Do you think that this will improve my CV during admissions, or will it make it look worse because I'm a member of the CAF? Other than the reserves I also try volunteering at a local hospital at least a few hours every 2 weeks and occasional community work with the city when there is an opportunity. Otherwise, everything else in my file looks pretty standard for an average applicant.

Thank you!

16 hours ago, ibuprofenaddict said:

Hi, I'm an third year electrical engineering student at McGill, and I've been enrolled in the reserves as an officer cadet (élève-officer) for 3 years now. Been "deployed" a few time to assist with local floods and Covid. Do you think that this will improve my CV during admissions, or will it make it look worse because I'm a member of the CAF? Other than the reserves I also try volunteering at a local hospital at least a few hours every 2 weeks and occasional community work with the city when there is an opportunity. Otherwise, everything else in my file looks pretty standard for an average applicant.

Thank you!

I did put it in my CV. Not sure if it helped or worsened my chances. Never got any questions about it either. However, I didn't use any particular experience related to army reserve during my MMI. If you do bring it up during your interview all you need to do is to make sure you can show how you benefited from this experience and how it made you a better candidate / prepared you to be a medical student.  

EDIT : Also, met at least 2-3 other dudes who were Army Reserve as well. I think there's a MOTP as well in my year.