Premed 101 Forums

Prepare For Your Future as a Physician: Pre-Med student letter to other Pre-Med students

JakeTobo

Hello future doctors, 

I’d like to think of this as more of a letter to my fellow pre-med students rather than an academic paper, because God knows we interact with academia most hours of every day already. I just wanted to talk a little bit about my experience working in a hospital as a Pre-Med student. Some people may say, “oh wow, he’s probably a nurse, or a nursing assistant, or someone else that is seen as ‘valuable’ in the hospital environment.” But matter of fact, I am simply a Transport Assistant at a decently small hospital in Buffalo NY. No bells and whistles, no fancy recognition, just hard work and the genuine desire to succeed in my own unique way. Some people may call it grunt work, but I see it as a way for me to start at the bottom so that I can appreciate each and every person that is there to help me when I am at the top. I want to learn how to earn respect the hard way and to never look down on what some people may call my ‘subordinates.’ I will never become someone that takes what I have for granted because I will understand what it is like when zero respect is given to me. Yes, there are a lot of nice nurses and kind individuals at my hospital, but there are also some people that treat me like a second class citizen because they see me as a kid with a near minimum wage job and that’s it. They don’t know that I’m balancing this job with a demanding undergraduate course load, MCAT studying, several social relationships, and constant stress. They don’t know the goals and aspirations I have. But honestly, that’s fine, I want to be counted out, I like being the underdog. It will make my successes that much more worth it. 

This job has been invaluable to my career and academic development. The possibilities for strong letters of recommendation from various respected healthcare clinicians is a benefit that I failed to even realize when I started this job. But being around these people on a regular basis, interacting with them, and building relationships with them, I know that if I ask them for a letter of recommendation or even just advice on what to do next, they will be there to help me in any way they can. On a more internal side, this job has really solidified my belief that I want to be a physician in the future. Being able to work in a hospital allowed me to learn how to be comfortable in a high stress workplace, which is a likely reality for me in the future. My own self confidence has flourished as well. A couple years ago I never would have thought of myself as a confident and direct individual. But when working in a hospital, you are required to make decisions everyday that can impact the life of somebody. It may be rare for me in transport to have to make life and death decisions for patients on the fly, but there have been a few times over the past couple years where I have made decisions like this. Whether that be speaking up and telling a nurse that I am concerned for this patient or dropping all other transport trips because I find it critical to get this patient to a test as quickly as possible. I have become confident in my problem solving abilities and will never keep my mouth shut because of fear of being ridiculed. If I see something abnormal, I will always say something to ensure the patient receives the best care possible. I believe that the most important thing I have learned from this experience is how to communicate effectively and work in a team seamlessly. One lapse in communication can be disastrous for a patient and for the flow of the work being done. Communication between all people involved makes safety the #1 priority. I did some research a few days ago about miscommunication in healthcare and I was appalled with how many injuries and deaths happen each year simply because of bad communication. This job has begun to prepare me to be the best communicator I can possibly be in the future. 

Some people may think that what I do at the hospital is unimportant, but I disagree. Making just one person smile everyday is a difference I can be proud of, it is a great place to start. Helping people in small ways now will eventually equip me to help them in life changing ways when I become a physician. I find enjoyment and fulfillment in what I do. I do not care if other people think that what I do is trivial. I do my job to the best of my ability at all times, and that’s a beautiful motto to live by; whatever you do, be the best at it. I make a difference in people's lives now and I know that I will continue to do so in the future. I suggest all Pre-Med students get in-hospital experience so they too can learn some important lessons before they begin their healthcare careers. 

Good luck in all that you do, you got this! 

Jacob T.  

Future Physician