Premed 101 Forums

Application tips for a 3rd year OOP applicant?

Guest akinf

Guest akinf

Hey everyone, I am applying to UT this year as a 3rd year OOP, and I was wondering if there was any advice you had about filling out the application. Is there anything UofT focuses on that I should pay special attention to, or do I need to describe certain things a certain way (like the autobiographical sketch)? Any help would be appreciated!

Guest scrubbed

Hi,

I don't think there is anything particularly unique about the U of T application process that you need to look out for, except, perhaps, that you have the longest personal essay of any med school in Canada that I'm aware of.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't have any inside information the process and what I say are thoughts formed by taking to others, reading this forum, and my experience with applying: by no means is it the bottom line.

Autobiographical Sketch

The OMSAS form doesn't allow you too much room to explain things. Unless your sketch is full, put in as many activities as you can, within good judgment of course. It may also be beneficial to describe your activities in an approximately equal number of categories, which may make you appear more well-rounded. It also may not matter, but it just a thought.

Personal Essay:

The crucial thing here is to make sure that you actually follow the instructions. I can imagine that it would be disconcerting for someone reading the essay if this were not the case. As well, though I'm sure people have had mistakes in their essays and have gotten in, try to make sure that your essay does not have any mistakes.

All applicants are required to submit a personal statement, in an essay of 1000 words or less. As a general guideline, the statement should address and discuss the applicant’s personal background, including particular interests and extracurricular experiences. Candidates should outline their choice of, and preparation for, a career in medicine. Applicants should also describe their premedical studies, expanding on what they have chosen to pursue and how this has prepared them for their future, including a career in medicine.

Although the essay is personal and it may be difficult sharing your hopes and dreams with others, it's a good idea to have others read over your essay, not only for grammar but also for an evaluation of the person that you present in your essay. Is this how you would want to come across? To some extent, we can become blind to things that others may observe.

I think it's also the place in the personal essay, since the autobiographical section allows you such little space to describe your activities, to expand on the activities that you've done that make you a strong applicant. Make it personal and provide examples. Leave an impression on the reader. Keep in mind that the interviewers will have your essay, so to some extent you are writing for them as well.

Reference Letters

The instructions say it well.

Letters of Reference

Each candidate is asked to provide 3 referees, who provide a narrative statement and complete a standardized form. Referees should have extensive personal knowledge of the applicant and be in a position to make reasonable statements concerning the applicant's character, personal qualities and academic capabilities. Referees may not be members of the applicant's family. Applicants are encouraged to submit at least one letter of reference from an individual able to comment on non-academic accomplishments.

Above all, make sure that your references will be able to write you strong letters of reference, as it is expected that the letters will be strong, and it is a red flag if they are not. Also, make sure that they are able to comment specifically on your capabilities and not use generic terms instead.

Finally, as you may know, all applicants are treated equally regardless of province. As an OOP applicant, you might want to be specific about why you want to go to U of T, as you probably woudl when applying to any school, if it is away from your family and friends.

Best of luck.

Archived