Premed 101 Forums

Hours per Week for sketch items

Guest aktpkb

Hi there, when they ask for the hours per week for say volunteering activities, should I divide my hours by the number of weeks I have been volunteering at a particular place because I have not volunteered every single week?

Also, for personal hobbies/extracurricular activities such as say playing golf and other sports, how can one quantitate the number of hours, let alone the number of hours per week for this? I play golf once in awhile, but its not like I can say I always play 3 hours a week:(

Thank you

Just do approximations.. that's what I did at least.

There were some activities I didn't do every week.. so I listed the number of hours I'd do on the weeks I DID do them.

And with something like golf which I did as well.. if you say you've been playing for 4 years and maybe 2 rounds a month.. that comes out to like 2 hours a week. And obviously this is only for like 6 months of the year, but you'd still say you've been playing for 4 years. I hope that made sense :S

Do we still have to enter our total hours for each activity? I believe we have to, right?

If so, when they were to compare the total hours with the number of weeks one has been volunteering and the hours/week one entered, one would have really overstated it. :(

Guest DoogieHouserBSc

So if we did volunteer work over xmas holidays and then over the summer of that same year, would we have to say "X hrs/week over Dec/Jan; X hrs/week over May-April" or can we just say X hrs/week once covering the entire period of Dec to April? The latter would imply that you volunteered through all of second semester. Do they care about this level of detail?

Thanks OT6. Btw, did you make into Ottawa U this year?

For the HOURS part I believed I filled it in using hrs/mon or hrs/week depending on how frequently I did the activity. So basically I just used whatever notation was most appropriate on each activity.

Guest blinknoodle

I believe in the detailed sketch you need to differentiate your involvement during Academic terms and Summer terms (aka the summer). If fact, I usually found I had lots of room for that section and could describe my involvement fairly well.

Ie: During academic terms, 5 hours per month and during summer terms, 20 hours peer week.

Archived