Premed 101 Forums

Nephrology job market

IM0120

I have always heard that the job market is not good for nephrology, but how bad is it?

1. If you were to estimate, what percentage of people are finding nephrology jobs after they graduate?

2. Do people usually need to get additional fellowships on top of the 2-year in nephrology?

3. If you don't find a job in nephrology, how easy is it to do GIM work while waiting for the nephrology position to open up?

4. Do you think having lots of publication increase your chance of finding a job?

5. How does nephrology salary compare to GIM?

Cities that I would be happy to live in include: GTA / Hamilton / Metro Vancouver / Calgary

These information are difficult to come by, so I am hoping that someone in this forum would have an idea. I would really appreciate any input. Thank you!

23 hours ago, IM0120 said:

I have always heard that the job market is not good for nephrology, but how bad is it?

1. If you were to estimate, what percentage of people are finding nephrology jobs after they graduate?

2. Do people usually need to get additional fellowships on top of the 2-year in nephrology?

3. If you don't find a job in nephrology, how easy is it to do GIM work while waiting for the nephrology position to open up?

4. Do you think having lots of publication increase your chance of finding a job?

5. How does nephrology salary compare to GIM?

Cities that I would be happy to live in include: GTA / Hamilton / Metro Vancouver / Calgary

These information are difficult to come by, so I am hoping that someone in this forum would have an idea. I would really appreciate any input. Thank you!

GIM here in the GTA (community), I can only comment on how I see things from an outsiders perspective.

1. very very low. and depends on your definition of "finding a job after they graduate" do you mean *any* work? or do you mean full time/active hospital based staff nephrology work (no clinical associate does not count)? If its the latter then almost 0% if you are talking about the former, and count GIM and/or nephro locuming, then almost 100%.

2. Do you need a fellowship to find a job or DO the job? to do the job probably not, but to find a job or "make themselves more hire-able", probably. If it works or not is a different story.

3. Pretty easy, in fact all the nephrologist I know have done this (or are currently doing this). Most will also find some nephro locuming too (to help get there foot in the door)

4. Only at academic centres, other community sites will not care.

5. If you do full hospital based Nephro (obviously with a clinic on the side) you make a significant amount more, the range is 500k to 1 million. With an outpatient clinic you have some overhead, but the stuff that pays (which has 0% overhead) is the hospital based work.