Premed 101 Forums

Are UofT med students required to join the CMA and OMA?

Guest medinvan

Guest medinvan

hi,

i was wondering, are all medical students required to join the CMA?

In one of the posts, they said cma members get special deals on computer purchases (eg. free 3 year warranty on dell laptops), but i can't see the info on the cma website without being a member. So if I need to join when med school starts in Aug, i thought I might be able to just join now.

is this right? What other deals are there for computers?

thanks

Guest medinvan

just another question....

when joining the provincial med assoc, do students join the provincial assoc where they officially live, or where they go to school?

thanks

Guest hydes79

Sorry I can't answer all of your questions, but I can answer this one:

So if I need to join when med school starts in Aug, i thought I might be able to just join now.

I am starting school in August and I already have joined both the CMA and the OMA. In order to join you need to give them a photcopy of your acceptance letter and 21$ fee. I did join both CMA and OMA because MD Management required me to be a member in oder to get services such as the Student Line of Credit.

Guest scrubbed

Hello,

All medical students are not required to join the CMA and the OMA, but I think that it's in your best interest to do so. It's only $21. All Ontario medical students join the OMA along with the CMA.

By joining the OMA and CMA, you get a free backpack, financial services (LOC and financial advising from MD Management), access to the internet resources on cma.ca, a paper copy of the CMAJ, as well as a great deal on disability insurance.

As for computers, this is the deal that someone was referring to.

Special offers for cma.ca Members on Dell Computers and Peripherals.

1. Personal Computers: Buy any Dimension PC or an "Optiplex 170L" PC from Dell Canada, and receive 3 years of onsite service absolutely free. (a $169 value)

2. Business computers: Buy any Optiplex PC (excluding the 170L) or Precision PC from Dell Canada, and receive 3 years of onsite warranty coverage with 4 hour response time (during business days) absolutely free. (a $139 value)

3. Laptop computers: Buy any Inspiron or Latitude laptop from Dell Canada, and receive 3 years of onsite service (with CompleteCare accident coverage) absolutely free. (a $399 value)

4. Peripherals: Get a 10% discount on all Dell Peripherals (e.g. printers, projectors, handhelds).

They also have a few deals with Bell and Rogers.

I think that covered everything.

Enjoy your weekend. :)

Guest Kooman

Hey,

Got a question about registering for CMA and OMA. I can't find on the OMA website any information about how to go about joining. And are you automatically registered for CMA once ur in OMA? Any information about this would be great. Thanks.

Guest peachy
Got a question about registering for CMA and OMA. I can't find on the OMA website any information about how to go about joining. And are you automatically registered for CMA once ur in OMA? Any information about this would be great. Thanks.
On the forms that they give you during orientation week, it's one registration and one fee for the two memberships, iirc.

Guest Kooman

Hey Peachy,

Any way I can join now? Cuz I actually plan to get stuff from Dell right now and having those extra deals from CMA would be sweet.

Guest scrubbed

Hi t2d,

The Bell plan that I was referring to is for new Bell Mobility subscribers. There are also options for those who want to continue their Bell plan but get a new phone.

CMA Preferred Plus 200

Only $20/month

(New 36 Month Activation)

Activation Fee for $35 paid once [?]

e911 Emergency for ¢75 per month [?]

System Access Fee for $6.95 per month [?]

Includes:

- 200 Anytime Local Minutes

Mobile Browser Lite for Free [?]

Unlimited Weeknights and Weekends (8pm-7am) for Free [?]

Call Forwarding for Free [?]

Call Waiting for Free [?]

Conference Calling for Free [?]

Message Centre Express for Free [?]

Detailed Billing for Free [?]

Also Available:

Message Centre (Voice Mail) for $6 per month [?]

Current Promotions: (based on a 36 Month term)

75 Text Messages free for 3 Months [?]1

1 This feature will not be removed. You will be charged for this feature after 3 months.

As for joining the CMA before the start of school, you can try calling their help line at 1-800-457-4205 and see what advice they give.

Archived