Premed 101 Forums

Academies

Guest try2dstress

Guest try2dstress

I was wondering if any of the current students could comment on the Academy system at U of T, and how they like their own Academy. I know you're placed randomly - when do you find out what academy you're in? Also, is this where you'll be all through clerkship too?

Guest DancingDoc

Hey,

I'll just be going into first year myself, but I can answer part of that for you. For clerkship you get to rank the academies, so no you don't stay in the same academy necessarily for clerkship.

I was told we were randomly assigned to academy during O-week..... correction anyone?

Guest peachy

Yes, you'll be randomly assigned to academies during orientation week. You're allowed to switch if you can find someone who wants to switch with you. Don't worry about it, though -- for preclerkship, pretty much everyone is happy with what they end up with, even if they thought they wouldn't be at first.

Guest peachy
How frustrating is traveling to Sunnybrook everyday though?
It's not every day. In preclerkship, it is very rare to be at your academy more than three days a week, and during significant parts of the program, you're only there once a week. And you will be placed at Women's for at least some of the time you are at your academy. There's also a direct shuttle bus. I personally hate the idea of travelling to Sunnybrook, but people in PB really don't complain. They think that it's not all that much of a hassle, and they like the academy enough to offset the travel issues.

Guest studentz

It's not that bad at all. The shuttle bus is there and it's free. It takes, at most, 30 minutes to get there. Unless you wanted to take the TTC to St. Mikes, you probably wouldn't be able to walk there much quicker. I'd agree that it's not as convenient as being at Women's, TGH or Mt. Sinai, but it's not that bad. At least this year, I don't know anyone that hasn't had a great experience at Sunnybrook.

The one period in which it can be a bit of a pain though is in Brain and Behaviour in which you may have to go there 2x a week for PBL, once for ASCM and once for a DOCH tutorial but I think that was only for a week.

Oh yeah...two great benefits of being at PB: you are pretty much guaranteed not to get your last choice academy for clerkship (when time is much more important) and since you are never at your home hospital for an OSCE, you don't have to worry about getting to Sunnybrook at 7:15 am like some Fitzies and WB people did this year:p >:

Archived