Premed 101 Forums

advice for a graduating high school student

Guest StephenNoor

Guest StephenNoor

Hey,

I am just graduating from HS this year (Im very young!) and is lucky to be admitted to all the university programs that I've applied to for my undergraduate studies. Like many other people of my age, I happened to be an aspiring medical student. Yes, I've heard those stories where students change their future career goal-medical doctor- after experiencing their 1st year of undergrad.

Still, If you guys can offer me some USEFUL advices, that would be fabulous! So basically, how should I prepare for Med School?

Topics may include: Interviews, Extra-Curriculars, Research, University courses, Volunteering, GPA, MCAT, ...., things you should have known beforehand, etc.

Thanx guys.

p.s. I've decided to go to McMaster University for my undergraduate studies.

Guest kylerh

Hello,

I too was an aspiring physician in my high school years! My top advice to all those aspiring medical students is to get involved and have some fun! I played varsity men's volleyball and this helped to burn off some stress and allowed myself to meet some new people. Being involved with various clubs will add more to your med school application and give you some time to chill out. This is not to say that your academic studies are not important. I would aim for a 3.8 or higher:D GPA. Many med schools have cutoffs at around 3.6-3.7 so this will hopefully give you an interview. Definately work on your communication skills. I have heard many people that had 4.0 GPAs and stellar MCAT scores that performed poorly at their interview. THis drastically affected their chances. Usually profs will not take on you as a lab assistant until year are in at least your second year. Even if you are not actually researching, cleaning flasks and beakers will build up your relationship with that prof who may eventually write you a letter of reference.

I would highly recommend you checking out the following site...

http://www.mdapplicants.com

Also check out each university site to make sure you are satisfying the pre-req courses. Besides this take courses that interest you.

Good luck in the future.

Hope you achieve your dreams!!!:)

kylerh

Guest blinknoodle

My advice would be to keep your mind and options open.

Figure out why you want to pursue medicine or other professions in healthcare and be open for this to change as you learn more about yourself and medicine.

Use your electives wisely. Take courses that will satisfy pre-reqs for post-grad studies but courses purely out of interest. Have you ever wanted to learn about Greek mythology, philosophy or Shakespeare?

And most of all, enjoy yourself! Do not worry too much about your marks although it is natural to want to aim high. Do NOT stress about the minutiae that premeds are known to do. Look at the bigger picture and learn from your mistakes. You do NOT need to get over 90% in all your classes. Aim for the double digits (ie. 10/12 or A-). Your involvement outside the class is just as important for not only medical school admissions, but your sanity as well. Stay involved with clubs, sports, etc in your new school/community. I suggest seeing how well you manage in first semester before committing yourself to too many things that require regular commitments.

Archived