Premed 101 Forums

Should i go for UTSG or UTSC life sci?

Guest newbie

Guest newbie

I know UTSG has a great life science program with great teachers and labs etc...but I've heard that it is very competitive, and it might be hard for me to get a decent mark for med school

On the other hand, I think UTSC's life science is easier but it has less course selection, so it might not have all the prerequisites that I'll need? Also, all the courses in UTSC are half courses, will that be a problem for applying to med school?

and will it be less advantageous for someone from UTSC to do the MCAT since its standard might be lower?

Guest Madz25

I am a UTSC student AND I have taken courses at UTSG as well. One piece of advice I can give you is that don't assume UTSC is easier. There are easier and tougher courses at both campuses. I know students that have purposely taken certain courses downtown because they were easier and I'm sure some UTSG students come to UTSC for the same reason.

Although the course selection at UTSC is limited, all the courses required to fulfill med school requirements are available. In fact, students at UTSG have a tough time with the general chem requirement for US med schools whereas UTSC students fulfill the requirement easily.

2 half courses = 1 full course, it makes NO difference in fulfilling med requirements.

Lastly, UTSC's standard is NOT lower. It's all UofT!! There are profs that teach courses on both campuses. I highly doubt that they would have a "dumbed down" version of the same course for the apparently lower standards of UTSC.

Madz

Guest weerdo

I just finished my degree, all courses at UTSC, and got into med school this year. Don't give into the hype about which campus is better or tougher etc...honestly, nobody cares when it comed time to review your application.

I went to UTSC just because it was closer to home, no other reason. Yes the course selection is more limited, but that didn't make a difference to me. There was always something that was of interest, and no problems in filling any of the prereqs for any school.

Guest newbie

Thanks to both of your advices, it helps a lot.

But is there a way to know which courses are easier or harder for both campus? and do you have any recommendations on what courses I should take at first year?

Guest Madz25

For first year - just follow the prereqs for your degree. If you're going to be in life sci, chances are that your prereqs will also fulfill the med school requirements.

With respect to easier/tougher courses - no way to know unless you happen to know someone doing the equivalent course at the other campus.

Madz

Guest citrinez

No, there isn't really any way of knowing which course are harder or easier, I honestly think it depends on how hard YOU are willing to work. At UTSC we have this thing called the anti-calendar which gives ratings of the course. You should be able to find it on the school website, in the current student section under SCSU. All the best.

Archived