Premed 101 Forums

Chances for getting in after 2nd yr

Guest TofuMisosoup

Guest TofuMisosoup

Hello all,

I'll be finishing my 2nd year undergrad at UofT in May and wish to apply to med school right after taking my MCATs in August. I'm not sure how competitive I will be among the application pool.

Overall GPA: 3.8 (OMSAS)

-GPA: 4.0 first yr, sorta screwed up 2nd yr at 3.6 (partically due to part-time job)

-2 academic awards

-4 letters of exellence for the various courses.

Non-academics:

-2 years of research at Sickkids - 1 summer research award.

-Starting summer research with UofT prof.

-shadowed neurologist for 6 months, working on clinical paper.

-volunteered as peer tutor, with hospital (only 3 months), and Epilepsy Ontario.

-various executive positions with student organizations.

Anything you guys think I can improve on?

Guest Maelswarm

I thought next year Western and UT will only look at applicants who are in their 4th year or have completed their degree... could someone confirm?

Guest rubberoduck

That looks pretty good. Again, I think different schools weighe different activities differently. As a third year applicant myself, I'd say that you have a good shot at Queens (not Western, since they only take 4th years and up next year) if you do WELL on the MCAT, and perhaps a good chance at UofT depending on the pool next year (which would be tough). Mac is tilting toward high GPAs, so your chances are slightly dimmer with 3.8 (this year it seems like they favor people with at least 3.85, based on what I know from my friends who got interviews). Ottawa is not good for third years, something I learned from this application cycle.

In summary, do the best you can on the MCAT, and apply to Queens. As for UofT, a list of good activities won't do unless you can tell them why you did them and what you learned that could help you as a physician.

I hope that was helpful. Good luck.

Guest meds0T7

I wouldn't worry too much about getting into either Queen's or U of T with your grades and research experience. As long as you perform well on the MCAT, you should have more than a decent shot.

I applied to med school right after 2nd year (just after the MCATs), with similar GPA, etc, and even less research experience. And I'm graduating from med school at U of T next spring. Many of my colleagues here had even less research and just made the grade cut-offs... it's really the interview and how you come across that gets you in! So no stress about your grades :)

Guest treehuggingbiologist

I'd say your chances are slim to @#%$ all. Hell, you haven't done any of the following (which all other applicants have):

1 = saved a child from a burning building

2 = cured cancer

3 = discovered a new planet

4 = devised a method of treating horses with diarrhea

5 = gone to africa and taught a small village the joys of wearing pants and playing hockey

6 = become a rock star

Come on!

Guest rubberoduck

medsOT7

I just want to remind you that things have changed quite a bit since the time you applied. After talking to med students and professors, I find that getting into medical school has become increasingly competitive (meaning higher marks, more ECs, etc). I know excellent PhD students who have been rejected, and people with near 4.0 GPAs (including 3rd and 4th yr applicants). I don't want to depress people, but I just want to make my information as realistic as possible.

What exactly do you mean by "how you come across during the interview?"

Guest TofuMisosoup

yeah, I agree with rubberoduck.

I've known some excellent applicants (high GPA, insane MCATS, volunteers, ...everything) that was rejected. I'm not sure if they didn't do so hot on the interview ... or essay...or something else.

Archived