Premed 101 Forums

MCAT marks

Guest cedar05

Guest cedar05

Thanks Peachy!

I was unsure because futher down on the FAQ it says:

Candidates should be aware that the lower MCAT scores will be a factor in the admissions process.

So I wasn't sure how much of a factor it would be.

Guest scrubbed

Hi cedar,

Perhaps you concern is with whether a flagged MCAT is considered more strongly pre-interview or post-interview.

My conjecture that it is a primarily a pre-interview consideration. I suspect by the time of the interview a flagged MCAT would have been compared to other parts of the application.

Suppose that someone had an 8 in verbal, but had a very strong essay or has done well in expository writing courses. This may offset the lower verbal score, and thus the applicant would be deemed acceptable to be interviewed. If they feel that other parts of their application do not offset a flagged MCAT, then the process might stop for him/her there.

My concern with a strong post-interview consideration is that it would seem silly to interview someone with a low MCAT only to strgonly hold it against them later when the final admission decisions are made, as I suspect far more than 450 applicants have a suitable MCAT score. I don't know if they would give someone an interview spot if they had a strong flag on someone. I'm not saying that it doesn't factor it, I just don't think it does that much.

That's my two cents.

Good luck!

Guest cedar05

Thanks scrubbed! I was just curious how much mcat counted, not so much concerned about the flag as mine is not!

Thanks for the response though.

Archived