Premed 101 Forums

number of seats for 2006?

Guest try2dstress

Guest try2dstress

does anyone know how many seats there are for the class entering 2006? I always thought it was 204, but then at my interview today in the presenation they said 218. So now I'm confused, which is it or is it somewhere in between?

Guest MD4eva

I was also surprised to hear that the number was 218. Although I’m not 100% sure, I think what we have been told in the presentation is that UT will send 218 offers (that doesn’t mean that UT will increase the number of seats to 218). So, UT is sending 218 offers to fill the 204 seats, because they know from previous years that they are always some students who will eventually decline the offer.

Guest scrubbed

Hey there,

I think peiguy is right, as that what was said at the interview presentnation. The number of offers may be slightly more than that, though at the end of the day, your chances post-interview are pretty good.

As someone who was involved in the interview process, I had a great time meeting the applicants, and I wish you all the best until decision day in May!

Guest MD4eva

I also agree with peiguy about the fact that UT usually send ~250 offers to fill the class, but what I was referring to in my previous post is the number of INITIAL offers (offers sent on May 15th) and not the overall number of offers. Also, UT Med admission website (www.facmed.utoronto.ca/En...tion.html) still shows that the number of seats for 2006/2007 is 204.

Guest scrubbed

I don't know this exactly, but I do think that you're right that they send out a few more offers than seats, expecting that a few people will decline their offer. They may want to fill out the class sooner or attract more people with the lure of a first round offer.

The 204 number on the admissions site is out-of-date: with the expansion, 14 spots will be added next year.

Guest scrubbed

Hey,

It is good news, though it is interesting that before the class size cutbacks in 1993, I believe, there were around 250 students in the class, using the same lecture halls and other facilities. We're not even caught up yet!

Archived