Premed 101 Forums

rural training opportunities at UofT meds?

Guest amd20

Guest amd20

I was wondering if anyone knows what opportunities UofT meds has for people interested in pursuing rural medicine in the future. I know UWO has discovery week and a rural training track. Does UofT have similar programs?

thanks!!

Guest UTMed07

One can do the year III family meds block thru ROMP (Rural Ontario Medial Program)-- in Orillia or Collingwood. Aside from that, there is the IgFM-- they host stuff (talks etc.) about rural family meds. Beyond that, there are electives.

I know Campbellford's family medicine clinic is affiliated with U of T (was there for a summer elective)... and there are a few other places here. If you're thinking residency (that comes after medical school)-- they have a rural option.

Guest Ollie

There are also some opportunities during preclerkship. During the summer after 1st and/or 2nd year, there is a Rural Medicine Week where students spend a week with a physician (and usually the physician billets the students in their home). I did rural week last year and it was great! There are also 4-week pre-clerkship electives through NOMP, ROMP, NOMEC and SWOMEN (sorry I'm too lazy to find links for all of these. You'll find them if you google them). A lot of my friends did this and had great experiences. The Rural Health Initiative group organizes info sessions about this throughout the year.

Archived