Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2024 Cycle

15 hours ago, thereluctantemu said:

Interesting! Can I ask, do you work for Alberta Health Services/Covenant Health? Or are you at a clinic? 

My two degrees are BFA Acting (lol) and a BEd. So....really unrelated to anything Kin. I've worked in healthcare casually for years but as an administrator, so it isn't like I've ever done hands on work with clients. I have worked with kids as a teacher, obviously, but none of my students ever had OT involvement or significant special needs so I don't really feel like that's super relevant either. 

I'm waitlisted for OT at the U of A and so I'm hoping to get some more OT-related volunteering in to prepare for next year BUT if I could actually have a job doing it, even better! I'm not really sure that my education would be relevant enough though. 

I would suggest highlighting how your experiences bring a unique perspective to the field. How are you going to take your background in BFA and BEd to make a difference in this field! Perhaps look into some of the different/unique settings and therapy techniques that OT's use and create an application or interview to reflect your skills and education!

"Occupational therapy can incorporate arts and crafts into intervention to provide individuals with a chance for self-expression, coping strategies, access to social groups, and improved physical functioning (Winther-Hansen et al., 2020)." 

I would for sure still try to gain more relevant experience through volunteering directly in the field or in a hands-on environment with individuals with cognitive or physical needs, but I just wanted to mention that these programs value everyones different perspectives, so try to use your degrees to your advantage! Get creative. You could even do something like starting a club or after-school program at one of your schools for students with disabilities to express themselves through acting, singing, dance, etc. Goodluck on the rest of your journey!!

23 minutes ago, aspiring.peds.ot said:

I would suggest highlighting how your experiences bring a unique perspective to the field. How are you going to take your background in BFA and BEd to make a difference in this field! Perhaps look into some of the different/unique settings and therapy techniques that OT's use and create an application or interview to reflect your skills and education!

"Occupational therapy can incorporate arts and crafts into intervention to provide individuals with a chance for self-expression, coping strategies, access to social groups, and improved physical functioning (Winther-Hansen et al., 2020)." 

I would for sure still try to gain more relevant experience through volunteering directly in the field or in a hands-on environment with individuals with cognitive or physical needs, but I just wanted to mention that these programs value everyones different perspectives, so try to use your degrees to your advantage! Get creative. You could even do something like starting a club or after-school program at one of your schools for students with disabilities to express themselves through acting, singing, dance, etc. Goodluck on the rest of your journey!!

I definitely tried to do that in my letters. I also play guitar and sing and would be very interested in using music through OT. 

Ah well. If I apply next year then hopefully I'll get in. 

10 hours ago, thereluctantemu said:

I definitely tried to do that in my letters. I also play guitar and sing and would be very interested in using music through OT. 

Ah well. If I apply next year then hopefully I'll get in. 

I feel like this is a good time for me to chime in and say I did get in to a few OT schools without OT-specific volunteer or work experience. Granted, I have a lot of experience in a PT clinic and working with disabled folks. I tried my best to tap into the "why" and who I am in my interviews/statements... Hope that helps!

1 minute ago, aspiringOT23 said:

Any western OT movement? I'm starting to lose hope :( Was really hoping for Western as I'm in the upper third of the waitlist but the movement seems to be slow/minimal :(

I know right! It’s been radio silence 😞

Hey guys! I am starting to think about applications for next year and I was wondering if anyone here had any experiences applying to the UK as well. I would love to hear about what that process was like!

Hi everyone! Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I accepted OT at U of T and am looking for a roommate! I want to be close to campus and I know places will be cheaper with a few roommates. If anyone is looking for a roommate please let me know!

On 6/12/2024 at 6:40 PM, thereluctantemu said:

Interesting! Can I ask, do you work for Alberta Health Services/Covenant Health? Or are you at a clinic? 

My two degrees are BFA Acting (lol) and a BEd. So....really unrelated to anything Kin. I've worked in healthcare casually for years but as an administrator, so it isn't like I've ever done hands on work with clients. I have worked with kids as a teacher, obviously, but none of my students ever had OT involvement or significant special needs so I don't really feel like that's super relevant either. 

I'm waitlisted for OT at the U of A and so I'm hoping to get some more OT-related volunteering in to prepare for next year BUT if I could actually have a job doing it, even better! I'm not really sure that my education would be relevant enough though. 

I am working at a PT clinic not AHS or Covenant Health, we do have 1 OT but I do not really work with them. I would say if you can't find a job, hopefully find some opportunities to volunteer in a clinic just to get hands on experience. Then hopefully if you do great they can offer you a paid position there :) 

Good luck with everything! Wishing the best for you. 

6 hours ago, JJMRUPT said:

I am working at a PT clinic not AHS or Covenant Health, we do have 1 OT but I do not really work with them. I would say if you can't find a job, hopefully find some opportunities to volunteer in a clinic just to get hands on experience. Then hopefully if you do great they can offer you a paid position there :) 

Good luck with everything! Wishing the best for you. 

Thank you! 

Just now, FutureOT22 said:

Hi everyone, for those on the Queen’s OT waitlist we just received an email saying all the spots have been filled. 

That’s weird, I’m on the Queen’s waitlist and didn’t receive that email. What time did you receive it?