Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2024 Cycle

4 hours ago, DalOTplz said:

Hi! Just wondering what you did to boost your gpa? As I am already graduated and not sure what I can do to raise my gpa without doing another whole degree. Thank you so much

I had the same problem - I went back took individual courses at any university as a "continuing education" student AND took a couple credits at Athabasca university (Online). 

Is there any group chat for WESTERN OT? Got off the waitlist on thursday (I was upper third) and accepted my offer through ORPAS on friday.

Big congrats to everyone else this year who also got accepted!! This was my third time applying and I'm still in shock as my sGPA was definitely not the greatest. I took extra courses in the fall to boost my GPA while working full time and also did some research with Ophthalmologists as I work in the field. To those who were rejected this year - don't give up! 

54 minutes ago, OT23761249 said:

Has anyone moved off of the Dalhousie Waitlist for OT or does anyone know how long the waitlist is? 

I got accepted off the waitlist for Dal OT! However, I think they were waiting for me to finish my prerequisites prior to an acceptance as I herd back just a few days after I submitted my final grades for those. I am an in province student for reference. Good Luck!! I have heard that there is generally movement from their waitlist during June and then again in August. I don't know how many are on the waitlist. 

6 hours ago, DalOTplz said:

Hi! Just wondering what you did to boost your gpa? As I am already graduated and not sure what I can do to raise my gpa without doing another whole degree. Thank you so much

Hey! I took courses at the university I graduated from as a non-degree student! I contacted the registrar’s office to let them know and they registered me as such. I chose the same university because I was familiar with the application process and such for courses. However, at my university non-degree students have the last date for course enrolment so I was worried I wouldn’t be able to enrol in the courses I wanted to. So I made sure to have a lot of options in case some didn’t work out.
Definitely take a look into your own university but also others around you. Another user mentioned attending Athabasca University online. When I was deciding, I also looked into Carleton University (mentioned in last year’s forum) and the Chang school of continuing education.

Please feel free to pm if you’d like more info! 

7 hours ago, DalOTplz said:

Many universities offer something called open studies/continuing education, something like that. So you can take courses without being enrolled in a degree program. 

Athabasca University and Thompson Rivers offer completely online courses where you basically read the textbook and do the assignments yourself, there are no lectures. 

I did courses both through the University of Alberta and Athabasca University. 

However, just be mindful of what courses they include as part of the GPA calculation. The U of A, for example, will not include marks in 100-level classes if you take them outside of a degree program. I'm assuming they do this so that people don't just take a bunch of random 100-levels to pad their GPAs.

I took a 200-level course through the U of A and then another through Athabasca outside of my degree, so those will count, but if I had taken 100-level courses then the U of A specifically wouldn't include them in s-GPA. Other schools will, it just depends. 

1 hour ago, OT Queen said:

I got accepted off the waitlist for Dal OT! However, I think they were waiting for me to finish my prerequisites prior to an acceptance as I herd back just a few days after I submitted my final grades for those. I am an in province student for reference. Good Luck!! I have heard that there is generally movement from their waitlist during June and then again in August. I don't know how many are on the waitlist. 

Congratulations!

I just submitted my final grades for the pre-requisites as well, so I wonder if I will hear from Dalhousie in June. 

I'm OOP though and I'm told that it's pretty difficult to get a spot as an OOP student so...we'll see. 

3 hours ago, RPT2024 said:

I had the same problem - I went back took individual courses at any university as a "continuing education" student AND took a couple credits at Athabasca university (Online). 

I’m doing an online undergraduate certificate at TMU through the Chang school, that way I can still apply for OSAP

2 minutes ago, OT123OT said:

I got an email from Mac OT this morning and found out I got off the waitlist! I won't be accepting the offer as I already accepted my Dal OT offer back in April. I also heard of someone who got off the waitlist for PT this morning. Good luck everyone :)

Looks like it’s probably game over for Mac pt :( 

4 minutes ago, OT123OT said:

I got an email from Mac OT this morning and found out I got off the waitlist! I won't be accepting the offer as I already accepted my Dal OT offer back in April. I also heard of someone who got off the waitlist for PT this morning. Good luck everyone :)

Does that mean all offers have been sent out for waitlist already :( what time did you receive yours?

Just now, OTOT1234 said:

Does that mean all offers have been sent out for waitlist already :( what time did you receive yours?

I got the email notifying me that there was an update to my application at 12:16 EST! It might be best to check the application status portal incase the email went to spam just incase!

5 minutes ago, OT123OT said:

I got the email notifying me that there was an update to my application at 12:16 EST! It might be best to check the application status portal incase the email went to spam just incase!

Thanks! Doesn’t look like anything :( still says under review. I’m just curious if that’s everything they’re sending out or should I still be hopeful. At this point I’m feeling pretty defeated