Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2024 Cycle

7 minutes ago, trishOT said:

Anyone else hear from mac OT after 12pm? It's difficult to move on without any confirmation :mellow: or do I still wait until the 7th when second offers expire?

I have just emailed them asking if those are all the offers being sent out, or if there will be more to come. Will keep everyone updated! I need the confirmation too. 

43 minutes ago, OTOT1234 said:

Thanks! Doesn’t look like anything :( still says under review. I’m just curious if that’s everything they’re sending out or should I still be hopeful. At this point I’m feeling pretty defeated

I don't know about the schools you applied to but I was told that I could be pulled off the waitlist literally any time until classes start. 

So don't give up hope!!! I'm rooting for you!! 

1 hour ago, OTOT1234 said:

I have just emailed them asking if those are all the offers being sent out, or if there will be more to come. Will keep everyone updated! I need the confirmation too. 

Did they reply?? The waiting is so stressful….

4 hours ago, thereluctantemu said:

Many universities offer something called open studies/continuing education, something like that. So you can take courses without being enrolled in a degree program. 

Athabasca University and Thompson Rivers offer completely online courses where you basically read the textbook and do the assignments yourself, there are no lectures. 

I did courses both through the University of Alberta and Athabasca University. 

However, just be mindful of what courses they include as part of the GPA calculation. The U of A, for example, will not include marks in 100-level classes if you take them outside of a degree program. I'm assuming they do this so that people don't just take a bunch of random 100-levels to pad their GPAs.

I took a 200-level course through the U of A and then another through Athabasca outside of my degree, so those will count, but if I had taken 100-level courses then the U of A specifically wouldn't include them in s-GPA. Other schools will, it just depends. 

Great advice! Would like to add to this that some schools do not value your upgraded courses if they are 1st or second year courses, which may result in your application being disregarded! UofT in particular has mentioned that they strongly recommend students who are doing gpa upgrading to take 3rd and/or fourth year courses. 

Another area of importance for those reapplying next cycle is to make sure your reference letters are strong.

Always!!!!!!  pick a reference who knows you well over one who doesn't. Even if your grade was better, or you have more hours with the unfamiliar one etc. Unless that reference will say you are a terrible person, you should always pick the person you have a better relationship with, as they can provide personal examples of your character. References are often forgotten about; many people have amazing experiences and decent GPAs, but a general reference from a referee who doesn't know you well can quite literally make or break your application.

Congratulations to everyone who has made it off the waitlist, and best wishes to those who haven't! All of your efforts are worthwhile, and regardless of your acceptance status you deserve to celebrate making it this far.

1 minute ago, reallywannaOT said:

Another area of importance for those reapplying next cycle is to make sure your reference letters are strong.

The U of A doesn't do reference letters for OT anymore, which I find very irksome. My GPA and my CASPER score are both very high but I don't really think they should put as much weight on either of those things as they do. I'd rather have someone with a B+/A- average who is really dedicated and compassionate than someone who had a perfect GPA but lacks social skills. 

I definitely picked two very strong references for my Dalhousie application though! 

3 minutes ago, thereluctantemu said:

The U of A doesn't do reference letters for OT anymore, which I find very irksome. My GPA and my CASPER score are both very high but I don't really think they should put as much weight on either of those things as they do. I'd rather have someone with a B+/A- average who is really dedicated and compassionate than someone who had a perfect GPA but lacks social skills. 

I definitely picked two very strong references for my Dalhousie application though! 

Wow...thats frustrating! I didn't apply to UofA so I wasn't aware of that. I definitely agree with you that GPA and CASPer, while they're important, they do not provide a holistic view of applicants! It's kinda funny, because a huge part of OT is being holistic...lol

I hope you get off one of your waitlists! You seem very passionate about OT and the field needs more people like you :) 

6 minutes ago, MPT-GAL said:

Hi everyone! I just got off the Mac PT waitlist this morning. I will be rejecting mac and western and accepting ubc so hopefully there's movement for everyone waiting, best of luck!!

did you get off ubc’s waitlist or did you get an offer in april? just trying to figure out if the ubc wait list is moving!

21 minutes ago, UBCMPT said:

did you get off ubc’s waitlist or did you get an offer in april? just trying to figure out if the ubc wait list is moving!

I got an offer in april but I know one person who got an offer off the van cohort waitlist last week (tuesday)! 

1 hour ago, reallywannaOT said:

Wow...thats frustrating! I didn't apply to UofA so I wasn't aware of that. I definitely agree with you that GPA and CASPer, while they're important, they do not provide a holistic view of applicants! It's kinda funny, because a huge part of OT is being holistic...lol

I hope you get off one of your waitlists! You seem very passionate about OT and the field needs more people like you :) 

Thanks! I hope so too :)

1 hour ago, reallywannaOT said:

Great advice! Would like to add to this that some schools do not value your upgraded courses if they are 1st or second year courses, which may result in your application being disregarded! UofT in particular has mentioned that they strongly recommend students who are doing gpa upgrading to take 3rd and/or fourth year courses. 

Always!!!!!!  pick a reference who knows you well over one who doesn't. Even if your grade was better, or you have more hours with the unfamiliar one etc. Unless that reference will say you are a terrible person, you should always pick the person you have a better relationship with, as they can provide personal examples of your character. References are often forgotten about; many people have amazing experiences and decent GPAs, but a general reference from a referee who doesn't know you well can quite literally make or break your application.

Congratulations to everyone who has made it off the waitlist, and best wishes to those who haven't! All of your efforts are worthwhile, and regardless of your acceptance status you deserve to celebrate making it this far.

Hey where did you get this information about upgrading GPA? I’ve looked on ORPAS and the universities websites (specifically McMaster and UofT) and found nothing to support this. I’m currently trying to upgrade my GPA and taking first and second year courses mainly because I haven’t taken them, have an interest in them and also need as a prerequisite for a third year course that I really want to take in the fall. I don’t want these courses to cost me my application next year…