Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2024 Cycle

4 hours ago, LaurOT said:

Hey where did you get this information about upgrading GPA? I’ve looked on ORPAS and the universities websites (specifically McMaster and UofT) and found nothing to support this. I’m currently trying to upgrade my GPA and taking first and second year courses mainly because I haven’t taken them, have an interest in them and also need as a prerequisite for a third year course that I really want to take in the fall. I don’t want these courses to cost me my application next year…

For sure! UofT mentioned this in their recording for their most recent information session, from last fall linked here at about 1:15:50. It's also mentioned on their OT website, under FAQs linked here. I'm not sure McMaster's stance on the matter, would be best to reach out to them! Taking first and second year courses as a prerequisite seems entirely reasonable as well, I personally don't think you will have issues with that so long as you have mostly upper year credits on your ORPAS transcript, but if you are concerned, best to reach out to your schools of interest! 

On 5/15/2024 at 10:42 AM, Streetlamp LeMoose said:

Hey, sorry to hear about how you are feeling, you sound like a hardworking and empathetic person, and you deserve to feel better. Did you reach out to any OT students on this platform or another to read over your application or sample interview responses? I asked a few buddies of mine to do it for PT and it worked out. Since I am in PT, I can't offer any OT-specific advice but I want to let you know that your feelings are valid and your application is strong, so don't give up.

Wow... thank you so much for the kind words... I really appreciate that :) I didn't know about this premed forum until after I submitted my application, so I will have to utilize that for my 2025 application. Thank you for that tip!!! Again, thank you so much for leaving a nice message to me, and also congrats and good luck on your endeavors in PT! 

Does anyone know how likely it is to get off the waitlist if someone drops out? I emailed Queen's to see if they could provide any update, and they informed me the program is full and they will only send out offers if someone withdraws from the program :(

Also don't people have until June 7th to change their minds/switch schools?

4 minutes ago, OTOT1234 said:

Does anyone know how likely it is to get off the waitlist if someone drops out? I emailed Queen's to see if they could provide any update, and they informed me the program is full and they will only send out offers if someone withdraws from the program :(

Impossible to tell, really. It depends where you are on the waitlist and how many people drop out. But there are lots of people that got in to X school but they were waitlisted for Y and they want to go to Y, so they'd accept their waitlist spot at Y and decline X school later on. 

I was pretty much told that I could be offered a spot literally any time from now until classes start. It just depends. 

2 minutes ago, thereluctantemu said:

Impossible to tell, really. It depends where you are on the waitlist and how many people drop out. But there are lots of people that got in to X school but they were waitlisted for Y and they want to go to Y, so they'd accept their waitlist spot at Y and decline X school later on. 

I was pretty much told that I could be offered a spot literally any time from now until classes start. It just depends. 

Thanks for the encouragement! I guess it's really just a waiting game, and luck at this point. It's just discouraging to hear a program say they are full but I guess anything can happen. Good luck to you!

3 minutes ago, thereluctantemu said:

Yes, it’s crazy to think that folks could be waiting up until the actual start date in the fall!

5 minutes ago, OTLOVESEVERYONE said:

Just a thought, but the waitlist for schools this year seems as though there is minimal movement. Last year’s forum, from what I’ve read had waitlist movement around June 3rd.

Wishing everyone peace of mind during this hectic and stressful time!

I know. I was looking back at last year's forum and it seems like a lot of people got off waitlists, especially at McMaster. I'm not sure why this year there has been very minimal movement....

On 5/15/2024 at 10:12 AM, HopefulOT1 said:

Applied(OT): McMaster, UofT

Accepted: McMaster

Waitlisted: UofT (update: got off waitlist 05/30)

Rejected: 

sGPA: 3.94

Casper: 4th quartile 

I just wanted to update the forum to say that I declined my offer at Mac for OT, so hopefully that opens up a spot for someone on the waitlist! 

1 hour ago, HopefulOT1 said:

I just wanted to update the forum to say that I declined my offer at Mac for OT, so hopefully that opens up a spot for someone on the waitlist! 

Thanks! Did you just decline it recently?

3 hours ago, PTgirlie said:

Fr!! They aren’t answering any of my emails

I heard from them on Friday before 2nd round offers were sent out. It was a rlly nice, but very broad response 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

2 hours ago, hopefulptt said:

does anyone know what “provisional acceptance” means on orpas? if i accepted my pt offer provisonally by the deadline, does that mean i accepted the school but the other programs will still consider me?

Provisional acceptance usually means that you are accepted on the condition that you complete XYZ. So if you're still doing your prerequisites, for example, then you might be provisionally accepted but not officially accepted until you complete those prerequisites. 

Do you have something outstanding that you need to complete? 

4 hours ago, thereluctantemu said:

Provisional acceptance usually means that you are accepted on the condition that you complete XYZ. So if you're still doing your prerequisites, for example, then you might be provisionally accepted but not officially accepted until you complete those prerequisites. 

Do you have something outstanding that you need to complete? 

No that’s conditional acceptance. Provisional is for if you want to remain on other wait lists. You can do so until June 7th

Does anyone know if Mac or Western have sent out additional waitlist offers since they sent out the 2nd round offers?? I’m just curious if they will go out more regularly as ppl accept/decline now until they’re full. 

2 hours ago, PTPls24 said:

Does anyone know if Mac or Western have sent out additional waitlist offers since they sent out the 2nd round offers?? I’m just curious if they will go out more regularly as ppl accept/decline now until they’re full. 

I don't have any Insider information, but my guess would be that after June 7th there will likely be another small round of offers and a transition to a rolling waitlist once the provisional acceptances become solidified. 

On 6/3/2024 at 1:33 PM, OTOT1234 said:

I have just emailed them asking if those are all the offers being sent out, or if there will be more to come. Will keep everyone updated! I need the confirmation too. 

Just wanted to update everyone Mac finally answered and said "Second round offers have been sent. If any third-round offers are to be sent, they will be sent early next week." 

On 6/3/2024 at 4:46 PM, 839472PT said:

I got an offer from Mac PT today around noon! I’m really stoked & am keeping big fingers crossed for those waiting to hear back. I’d love to join a groupchat if it exists, and will be looking for roommates / housing soon, so please feel free to reach out regarding that!

Hi I also accepted an offer at Mac PT and was looking for roommates and a groupchat if anyone has info!!