Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2024 Cycle

29 minutes ago, PTgirlie said:

If my provisional acceptance becomes firm on the 7th, is there a way I can ask to be considered for a closer school? I just really am not in a situation to move out :( 

Hi! I can relate to this, I wanted to be considered for a school closer to me (hoping for U of A OT, as I live in BC). I am provisionally accepted to Western. If there is an application fee deadline ie for me its June 30th, there might be some wiggle room in terms of waiting back from other schools. Ultimately, at the end of the day, the choice is yours; you can apply again next year if that is what you think is best! Wishing you and everyone peace of mind!

Edit:

For Ontario Schools, June 7th is firm, but for other schools ie U of A there is no deadline yet (check your past emails for more clarification)

1 hour ago, PTgirlie said:

If my provisional acceptance becomes firm on the 7th, is there a way I can ask to be considered for a closer school? I just really am not in a situation to move out :( 

Congrats on your acceptance! You may find it helpful to reach out to the school you've been accepted to, and ask about any funding they have for students with financial need, whether that is scholarships/ bursaries or loans. Applying for OSAP is another option! Asking to defer your acceptance to next year may be an option as well, if your financial situation is an extenuating circumstance; however it is up to the schools discrepancy if you ultimately receive this deferral, unfortunately.

I think the only way to know if your waitlisted school can continue considering you is to reach out to them and ask. Any ORPAS deadlines are beyond the control of individual universities, so the schools would have to consider your waitlist position independently of ORPAS. It sounds like a tough situation to be in, hopefully you are able to find a solution! Just know that if you ultimately decide to withdraw your current acceptance once it's firm, it is highly unlikely that same school will consider you for PT again, if you decided to apply again next year. In this context being upfront about your situation to your schools and seeing what can be done is your best bet.

23 hours ago, PlsTakeMeOT said:

does anyone know if there are more offers coming out from UofT? the last update i got from them was that they were still working through the waitlist. i just want to know what my chances are looking like :wacko:

I'm wondering this as well 😣

12 hours ago, AppliedtoOT said:

No that’s conditional acceptance. Provisional is for if you want to remain on other wait lists. You can do so until June 7th

Oops, thanks for pointing that out! I don't think the U of A does provisional so I thought it was the same as conditional. 

Hi all, I just wanted to let you all know that I got off the Queen’s waitlist today! The email was sent on June 5th around 2 p.m.

Applied (all PT): Queens, Western, MacMaster, UofT
Accepted: Queens (Off the Waitlist)
Waitlisted: Queens and Western
Rejected: UofT and McMaster
GPA: 3.89 Cumulative GPA and 3.96 Sub GPA
CASPer Quartile: 2nd 

Word of Advice:

I am 29 years old, turning 30. I was a hip-hop dancer from 19-24 years old and graduated as an OTA & PTA when I was 24. Why am I telling you this? To all the new graduates who are young and have yet to be accepted, TRUST THE PROCESS! It is not the end of the world if you are not accepted. You have time! If you need to bump your grade, DO IT! If you need more help with interviews and CASPer, DON'T SLACK! If you need more references, go out and NETWORK! But I learned that you need to be genuinely passionate and love what you are doing. I only realized I wanted to be a physio when I was 25! I decided to take that big jump to return to school in my mid-20s, and here I am, getting accepted to Queen's from the Waiting list! I was pretty scared and defeated when I wasn't accepted, but I'm happy it came! 

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

The CASPer test was such a bombshell for me. I tried to study as much as I could, but my typing was not the greatest, only averaging around 50-60 wpm when writing and thinking at the same time. I also got COVID two days before the test and had to do it while being sick. This can explain why I got a second quarter. I also thought I had a good Kira Talent interview, but it seems as though I was wrong, as I didn't get accepted there. 

I was confident with my essays. I truly wanted to be a Physiotherapist, so it was easy to explain why I wanted to go to school and become one.

My academic reference was from my last professor in the school year. We had a small class, and I was involved in class, which helped them write their reference for me. I also visited them once during office hours to chat so they could learn more about me and know how I was as a person to help them out when writing the reference. My professional reference was a Physiotherapist at my workplace. I graduated as a PTA in college and used a physiotherapist I worked closely with, so it was easy to find a professional reference.

This is my first time applying, but I GRINDED SO HARD for my bachelor's. Luckily, before then, I was a PTA and OTA, so I had a lot of experience, possibly around 2000+ hours of experience working mainly in the hospitals and the community. I also am an assistant dance director for a Toronto hip-hop dance crew, so I used that as volunteer work. I think my experience as a PTA definitely got me high on the waitlist.

I am very grateful for this forum and wish everyone the best! For those who are waiting, I hope you get in!! If not, please don't lose hope or be discouraged; try again! 

Does anyone know if there’s any chance of getting a Western waitlist PT offer tomorrow? I’m not sure where they’re at in their wait list process and I was really hoping to get an offer before a different provisional acceptance becomes firm tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, ptg2026 said:

Does anyone know if there’s any chance of getting a Western waitlist PT offer tomorrow? I’m not sure where they’re at in their wait list process and I was really hoping to get an offer before a different provisional acceptance becomes firm tomorrow.

Western said to me that they make offers as cancels/declines come in as there’s a 24hr turnaround time for waitlist offers. So there’s a chance but idk 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

On 6/5/2024 at 8:42 PM, PTAwithaDream said:

Hi all, I just wanted to let you all know that I got off the Queen’s waitlist today! The email was sent on June 5th around 2 p.m.

Applied (all PT): Queens, Western, MacMaster, UofT
Accepted: Queens (Off the Waitlist)
Waitlisted: Queens and Western
Rejected: UofT and McMaster
GPA: 3.89 Cumulative GPA and 3.96 Sub GPA
CASPer Quartile: 2nd 

Word of Advice:

I am 29 years old, turning 30. I was a hip-hop dancer from 19-24 years old and graduated as an OTA & PTA when I was 24. Why am I telling you this? To all the new graduates who are young and have yet to be accepted, TRUST THE PROCESS! It is not the end of the world if you are not accepted. You have time! If you need to bump your grade, DO IT! If you need more help with interviews and CASPer, DON'T SLACK! If you need more references, go out and NETWORK! But I learned that you need to be genuinely passionate and love what you are doing. I only realized I wanted to be a physio when I was 25! I decided to take that big jump to return to school in my mid-20s, and here I am, getting accepted to Queen's from the Waiting list! I was pretty scared and defeated when I wasn't accepted, but I'm happy it came! 

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

The CASPer test was such a bombshell for me. I tried to study as much as I could, but my typing was not the greatest, only averaging around 50-60 wpm when writing and thinking at the same time. I also got COVID two days before the test and had to do it while being sick. This can explain why I got a second quarter. I also thought I had a good Kira Talent interview, but it seems as though I was wrong, as I didn't get accepted there. 

I was confident with my essays. I truly wanted to be a Physiotherapist, so it was easy to explain why I wanted to go to school and become one.

My academic reference was from my last professor in the school year. We had a small class, and I was involved in class, which helped them write their reference for me. I also visited them once during office hours to chat so they could learn more about me and know how I was as a person to help them out when writing the reference. My professional reference was a Physiotherapist at my workplace. I graduated as a PTA in college and used a physiotherapist I worked closely with, so it was easy to find a professional reference.

This is my first time applying, but I GRINDED SO HARD for my bachelor's. Luckily, before then, I was a PTA and OTA, so I had a lot of experience, possibly around 2000+ hours of experience working mainly in the hospitals and the community. I also am an assistant dance director for a Toronto hip-hop dance crew, so I used that as volunteer work. I think my experience as a PTA definitely got me high on the waitlist.

I am very grateful for this forum and wish everyone the best! For those who are waiting, I hope you get in!! If not, please don't lose hope or be discouraged; try again! 

Congratulations!! 

I'm also older (nearly 36) and I used to be a teacher and HATED IT and then had no idea what to do but I discovered OT after working in healthcare for 10 years. 

I think being an older student is an advantage in a lot of ways, tbh, so I'm hoping that I get off a waitlist! 

17 hours ago, SeaShells14 said:

Does anyone know if there has been any movement to the UofT PT waitlist/gotten off the waitlist? I've noticed that there isnt much on here about it, but more so for the UofT OT?

I have been wondering the exact same! If anyone hears any info, it would be so greatly appreciate if it could be shared here!! 

17 minutes ago, kingradmmm said:

I haven't heard anything yet either!!

There's not much information out there on the UOttawa waiting list/chances of getting in. Hopefully we get accepted off the list soon!

2 minutes ago, OTsvp said:

There's not much information out there on the UOttawa waiting list/chances of getting in. Hopefully we get accepted off the list soon!

There really isn’t! I met with one of the rehab grad school advisors last October and they told me last year they went through the whole waitlist… so I’m really hoping it’s similar this year 🤞but I have no clue how their waitlist system works and it’s stressful.

18 minutes ago, OTTT1234 said:

There really isn’t! I met with one of the rehab grad school advisors last October and they told me last year they went through the whole waitlist… so I’m really hoping it’s similar this year 🤞but I have no clue how their waitlist system works and it’s stressful.

That's hopeful!! Crossing my fingers for all of us :)