Premed 101 Forums

A chance with a graduate degree

Guest aviationlover65

Guest aviationlover65

I am new to this board but I would appreciate some guidance despite my lack of experience on this board.

I am currently finishing up my undergraduate degree at the university of Toronto in human biology

I have a chronic medical condition throughout my four years of undergrad. The first two years were manageable and I managed to come out with a 3.45 GPA for the first two years.

My healht condition got worse and I my marks dipped. I had a 3.31 GPA in my third year. My fourth year also ahs consisted of declining health and I have no idea what marks I will have this term. i am aiming for a 3.3 but it might be a bit lower.

I am planning on pursuing a graduate degree and then applying to medical school. however, I am not sure even wtih a graduate degree I have a chance at any school in this country especially due to the declining tend of my GPA. I know i meet the cutoffs at Toronto with a MSc but I honestly don't know if that would be enough. I don't think I have a high enough GPA to get in. I know I could write a letter explaining the situation but it will come across as an excuse for poor marks rather than a legitimite concern which should be taken seriously.

I had to drop some courses and take some in the summer because of health issues. So i can't use the weighed scheme at Toronto. I don't think Queens would weigh my marks beneficial either.

At this point, I have bitter sweet feelings. I have good feelings because my health is almost better and it appears there might be a remission coming on soon. However, i dont' think I have a chance to see my dreams to become a doctor come true.

Any Advice would benice.

Guest siobhansiobhan

Well, you're asking just as many graduates are getting rejected...

Three things that come to mind:

1) Rock on! With Adversity.

2)Admissions criteria change over the years. By the time you are finished a masters (if that's what you want to do) things may be different again, and there may be some pocket interested in having your file. Keep watch.

3) The U.S. is not a bad place to go - you can come back (so far - rules always change...) Check it out. It's not that bad. You may not even need an MSc. But you will need an MCAT likely. And do it well. Also, why not post in the non-traditional applicant forum? You'll get support there for those who are applying with a set of experiences that are valued more/weighted up front more in other places.

Once again - rock on, and we're in the last few weeks home stretch of this year, eh? May you find your groove for finals :)

Siobhan

Guest UTMed07
My [health] condition got worse and I my marks dipped.
I don't think a declining trend is that bad. I had a declining trend and I don't think it hurt me that much. That said, a GPA of 3.3 is somewhat of a challenge.

Writing letters to ask for understanding:

I'd say it is worth a try. I know three people in my class have serious chronic medical conditions. I don't have the impression they got special consideration-- but I don't know.

...with a MSc but I honestly don't know if that would be enough.
I hope you're not looking at a MSc just as a stepping stone to med school. Personally, I don't think that is a good idea 'cause you won't be very happy if you think of it just in those terms. If you see it as leading to an alternative career path... and like research go for it.

However, i dont' think I have a chance to see my dreams to become a doctor come true.
If you don't try-- it is 100% sure you won't get a spot. That said, the majority of applicants don't make it. That is the tough reality and its important to know when to throw in the towel.

Any case, I hope that you continue to feel better. Good health is among the most precious things one can have.

Archived