Premed 101 Forums

Deferrals

Guest blueskies8000

Guest UTMed07

There is some info here (http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/English/page-13-15526-1.html).

It says:

Deferrals are approved only rarely, and can only be considered upon request by the candidate at the time of responding to an offer of admission. Deferrals will only be considered on academic grounds. If granted, a deferral is for a one year period.

NOTE: The University of Toronto does consider applicants who will have completed three years of undergraduate University education as of August 2006. Candidates who are accepted in this circumstance will not be granted deferrals to complete a four year degree.

If you asked nicely... I imagine they might also consider a deferral for personal reasons-- such as a family member with a terminal illness (like MS) that is expected to pass away in the coming year.

Guest dr555

"Deferrals will only be considered on academic grounds. If granted, a deferral is for a one year period."

NOTE: The University of Toronto does consider applicants who will have completed three years of undergraduate University education as of August 2006. Candidates who are accepted in this circumstance will not be granted deferrals to complete a four year degree."

I'm trying to the puzzle together...

If academic deferrals are granted, why would U of T specifically be against deferrals for third years to complete their degrees? Shouldn't this request be as honourable as any other student asking for a deferral?

Guest Ollie

When they refer to academic deferals, they are refering to graduate students who need longer to complete their thesis requirements. Grad applicants are required to submit a letter from their supervisor in January stating that they are expected to complete their thesis by the summer (usually July at the latest). But research being what it is, some people might be unable to meet this deadline. This should be an unanticipated delay. The faculty tries to avoid these deferals as much as possible.

The same doesn't apply to third years because they have a defined end to their year. If one wants to complete a four-year degree then they should wait until 4th year to apply. Having tons of 3rd year defer would be a huge pain for the admissions office.

Guest blueskies8000

Thanks for all the replies!

Would UofT grant a deferral for a student to conduct research @ a lab as a research associate (not as a grad student) for one year?

Guest docbil

Only UofT can answer these IF questions.

Why don't you wait and see when you get accepted, to deal with that "will they accept this situation... "

Guest blueskies8000

Docbil,

In my case, there's this really great research opportunity (3/5 schools I've applied to. I have an interview @ Western and still waiting to hear back from UofT.

I am tempted to "assume" that I will not get in, and take this opportunity... but part of me is wondering that "what if i got in" scenario...

I'll definitely be asking UofT.

Thanks for your reply!!

Archived