Premed 101 Forums

Hello there.

I am a first year enriched health student in Dawson College, I am trying to get into Med because of my passion for the domain.
I want to get advice regarding Cegep in general and the path after it, my grades are fine until now, but not as high as I want because I keep making mistakes due to inattention in exams. My grades in French, humanities and English are all in the top 90s, in Calculus and Chemistry they are around 95%, Physical Ed is 100. I am struggling more in mechanics, I feel like I messed up the last two tests even though I understand the material fully and did hundreds of questions, my grade without the second test is 89, but it might drop. The thing is that I cannot visualise what the Cote R is, since it isn't just a percentage grade. I know that McGill or any other med school wants a cote r of around 36, but I am getting very pessimistic and starting to see that perhaps I will have something in the low 30s or 20s. My CV is pretty good I would say, but I feel that everything is in vain in a way. I wanted to see if someone has had a similar experience, and how he got out of it (or what happened to him in the end.)

On 12/1/2023 at 3:15 PM, AnAnxiousArab said:

Hello there.

I am a first year enriched health student in Dawson College, I am trying to get into Med because of my passion for the domain.
I want to get advice regarding Cegep in general and the path after it, my grades are fine until now, but not as high as I want because I keep making mistakes due to inattention in exams. My grades in French, humanities and English are all in the top 90s, in Calculus and Chemistry they are around 95%, Physical Ed is 100. I am struggling more in mechanics, I feel like I messed up the last two tests even though I understand the material fully and did hundreds of questions, my grade without the second test is 89, but it might drop. The thing is that I cannot visualise what the Cote R is, since it isn't just a percentage grade. I know that McGill or any other med school wants a cote r of around 36, but I am getting very pessimistic and starting to see that perhaps I will have something in the low 30s or 20s. My CV is pretty good I would say, but I feel that everything is in vain in a way. I wanted to see if someone has had a similar experience, and how he got out of it (or what happened to him in the end.)

With the grades you mentioned you’ll be fine. You have better grades than 99% of people trust me. 95% in Calculus and chemistry will give you a great r score (36+ for sure!)

also, I would say 35 r score is enough for med school since it’s been dropping in the past few years. Of course higher = better but 35 would for sure make you an average applicant. 

6 hours ago, Daddychill said:

With the grades you mentioned you’ll be fine. You have better grades than 99% of people trust me. 95% in Calculus and chemistry will give you a great r score (36+ for sure!)

also, I would say 35 r score is enough for med school since it’s been dropping in the past few years. Of course higher = better but 35 would for sure make you an average applicant. 

Thanks, I am trying my best to get a 100 on the finals, this way I can try to compensate for any risk. hoping it goes well.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...