Premed 101 Forums

MUN Bonafide resident

Hi, I grew up in NL for most of my childhood and graduated highschool from there in 2020 but moved to Ontario that same year. I've been in Ontario for about 3 years but I'm not sure if I technically still count as an NL resident due to graduating from there. The admissions office gave me sort of a vague answer but is there anyone who has been in a similar spot or knows anyone that was in a similar spot? Thanks in advance. 

Hey there,

The criteria for being a NL resident is changed from year to year. The current guidelines listed at https://www.mun.ca/medicine/administrative-departments/admissions/undergraduate-md-program/competition-pools/newfoundland--labrador/

s
tate an applicant must either have a history of living in NL on a non-educational basis. Essentially, it means you should be living in NL for work or something else while not attending a post-secondary institution or high school.

The other criteria, which I believe will apply to you, is essentially that from the date of application and 12 years before, you have completed 4 years of junior/high school from grade 7 to 12 in NL, So, as long as you have completed junior and high school here in NL and moved away after that, it still may make you eligible for the NL pool. You can satisfy either of the two criteria and my summary may be in-complete/in-correct so please, consult the official website. The school may contact you for supporting documents and proof to ensure you have a thorough history of living in NL.

Good luck and if you have any other questions, do feel free to follow-up.