Premed 101 Forums

Schools that accept deferrals due to finishing a Masters

Guest TheMoustacheIsBack

Guest TheMoustacheIsBack

I was wondering if anybody knows which schools are OK with deferring admission due to not being done a Masters degree. I'm pretty sure all schools require that the degree is finished upon entry but I heard that not all allow deferrals due to this.

I hope to be done my M.Eng by summer '07 and thus have been planning to apply this year to almost any school I feel I have a good chance of getting in but it's possible that I won't be done by the start of the school year and will have to defer till '08.

If anyone has any information it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest scrubbed

Hello,

This is from Toronto.

I think that I'm aware of graduate students that have been awarded deferrals, so this may be a change in policy.

An applicant who has not yet received his/her graduate degree and who is offered a position in the medical class will be required to submit proof prior to June 29th, 2007, that his/her thesis has been completed and successfully defended. Graduate students who are offered positions on the expectation that their degree will be completed, who then state that they are unable to meet this deadline, will not be granted deferrals. All applicants accepted from graduate programs must additionally provide proof of receipt of their graduate degree once the degree has been conferred, in the form of a final official transcript.

Guest Bustylegs

Hi:

I was accepted to U of T med for September 06 and I was granted a deferral of admission till 2007.

Scrubbed, that quote of yours in the thread from U of T really made me wonder if U of T has changed it's deferral policy... However, here's what I found at the UT website...

"Offers of admission are sent to applicants in the spring or summer prior to the proposed date of enrolment. Admission may be conditional upon fulfillment of specific requirements, such as completion of one's current academic program, or unconditional. Initial offers of admission to Ontario medical schools for August 2007 entry will be sent May 15, 2007.

Deferrals are approved only rarely, and can only be considered upon request by the candidate at the time of responding to an offer of admission. Deferrals will only be considered on academic grounds. If granted, a deferral is for a one year period."

www.facmed.utoronto.ca/En...526-1.html

Therefore, I think it's best to call Leslie in the admission office and find out!

Tony

Guest scrubbed

Hi Tony,

You were the graduate student that I was thinking of, and it does appear that the admissions website contradicts itself. I would advise the original poster to contact admissions at Toronto, using the information above, to clarify

Guest rubberoduck

most schools are quite good about giving deferrals if you cannot meet your expected date for finishing your masters. it's always good to call them up and confirm.

Archived