Premed 101 Forums

how many students in class of 09 deferred entrance last year

Guest Highway2MD

Guest Highway2MD

Hey. I was wondering if someone knew how many students in the current 09 class deferred entrance last year?

Also, I am feeling really nervous filling out my application for the second time after having interviewed last year but unsuccessful in getting admission. Does anyone have any tips for people applying for the second round after they had interviewed the year before?

Also, how would someone cite their publications in the Ottawa Sketch. I am assuming to put it under type of publication and the format would be Name of Journal, volume, pages, and year published. I am making a separate entry for each publication because my roles were different every time.

Thanks. I will appreciate anyone's help with my questions.

Guest spidey077

Good question about the research papers. Myself, i didn't want to waste 6 spots just listing papers, even though my roles were different for two of them, I opted to lump them all together as "refereed publications". Not sure if this is the way to go or not, but seeing as I already had 4 items listed as research, i wanted to save the 6 spots to list other items that highlight my interests and background.

As for citing the papers....

Because i lumped everything together, this is what i did.

in the type of publication, just listed the type (x# of research papers, x# of reviews). then in the "my role" section, i put my role briefly (ie. experimentation, writing, editing) for each paper, and then in brackets the abbreviation for the journal, followed by the year. I am hoping they can piece together my name from the top of the application, and bring it all together to figure out which paper....but then again...

I suppose i could have listed the doi, then there should be no question as to which papers i authored.

If you can make sense of the instructions for this section at all, you're doing well...

"Indicate the type of publications: paper, abstract and presentation at a scientific meeting etc., accepted or published with a reference, but not submitted or in preparation."

It still isn't clear to me from this if a complete reference is required or not.....or if they are just saying to only list items that are accepted or published with a reference, but not items that are in preparation or submitted.

Not sure about people deferring. It is not very common....you ahve to have a really good reason to do it.

I too am reapplying. This isn't my second time either...I did change my application quite a bit from year to year, even though I had interviews each time I applied.

Guest spidey077

ok, i just read the instructions yet again for the publications issue.....

the punctuation is different in the oMSAS manual...

Specify your education level (ie: 1st year of university) and the title of the project. Indicate the type of publications: paper, abstract and presentation at a scientific meeting etc.; accepted or published with a reference, but not submitted; or in preparation.

From this it seems that you would include stuff in preparation.

I think i may just have to call them to clarify....

Guest Highway2MD

hi.

I was wondering if anyone had an answer to my original question which was how many students do you know that deferred entrance last year who are first year medical students.

I wanted to find out if Ottawa has a "secret policy" against accepting first year grad students. I know some students interviewed during their first year of grad studies, did not get in, but when the same students were interviewed this past year, got into medical school.

Thanks

Sorry I don't know that stat.. I know of one person who deferred acceptance because of being accepted after 3rd year, and wanting to finish a degree.. but I don't know of anyone else.

I too know of a student that deferred to finish a masters. Ottawa will accept graduate students in their first provided they meet the undergraduate GPA requirements. They are considered based on their undergraduate GPA and not under the graduate review policy. To be considered under the graduate review policy you must be in your second year of study and have grades to submit.

Archived