Premed 101 Forums

Graduate package

Guest jjd322

Guest jjd322

For all who will be submitting a graduate package this year, I am wondering what kind of experience/publication everyone's got. Looking at the accepted student from last year I got an impression that all graduate students had big packages of many publications, conferences and presentations. I finished my master's degree in UK in one year and so only have one first-author publication, along with a conference and several presentations. I guess my chance of getting in will be pretty slim if everyone else has "big" packages???

:rollin I was also gigging about the big package comment!

But seriously, I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that all the grad students accepted have papers in Science and have been nominated for a Nobel prize. I was a grad applicant and at the time I had a one first-author paper and few conference abstracts. I know several people in my class with MSc's who don't have publications (but presumably some other evidence of productivity).

Basically they just want to see that you didn't sit on your @ss for a year or two waiting to get into Medicine. Even if you don't even have an abstract, but your supervisor can write you a strong letter of support and maybe explain the reason for no pubs I don't see that being a huge limitation.

Guest jjd322

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I was just quite worried since I have no clue where I stand as a graduate applicant. Fingers crossed that I'll survive the whole application process.

Guest docbil

Normally, I would think that:

Masters level at UofT. You should be working towards your first article. If you completed your masters you will have it in press or submitted and maybe 2-4 abstracts.

For PhD, multiply that by 3 or 4. Depending on impact factor, 2-3 Articles. 6-15 Abstracts (local, AKA IMS scientific day, National, Canadian Society of _______ or Canadian ______Society, and one intenational. US Conference.

So for every year you are in the graduate program 1 abstract. For every 1.5 years 1 article (unless you go for high impact).

Guest viswaka

Hi,

I was in a master's program with a professional option (engineering); just course work and a final project in industry. So, while I have a masters degree, it is without any publications. Anyone else like me here? How does the ad com evaluate such files?

Thanks

Guest medsmurf

I did an M.Sc. in 2.5 years and only came out with one abstract. My project ended up being a complete dud and there was nothing I could do about it except to keep working and get enough data for my thesis even though it was negative data and not publish worthy. I worked hard and wrote a good thesis so I hope this won't affect my application. My grades, MCAT scores, extracurriculars etc. from undergrad are competitive enough that I don't need the M.Sc. to boost my application, but I'm hoping my lack of publications etc. won't negatively effect my app.

Just be happy and proud of what you did

Don't be comparing "packages". As long as you did something you enjoyed and you got something out of it. Then show how proud you are of getting it done.

In the case of medsmurf, many at UofT suffer with the same destiny. Project not working... prof too stupid to realize it and let you change. Hmmm nothing new.

Of course for those who did not do much.. and did a masters half ass.. then yes. Be concerned.

Plus if you start comparing you are just going to get worried and stressed. Let it go. And wait till Jan and Feb for interview decisions. Or in my case (last year) a rejection letter with Ms.docbill instead of MR.docbill. >:

Medsmurf... do I know youuuuuuuu!!!

• 1 month later...

odd.

check you junk/bulk mail folders maybe. the subject line was:

Supplemental Graduate Application for University of Toronto

and it was a u of t email addy. I actually had to check which email I gave in my app to be sure, one of the guys in my lab mentioned he had it and I had to check.

Otherwise maybe email Leslie Taylor to verify.

cheers

K

Guest viswaka

I think that the email was sent out only to current graduate students. UT's admission site says that all current students need to send out the graduate package.

Maybe it does not apply to applicants who have already graduated (my guess)?

Guest siobhansiobhan

Hi there -

I graduated ma a long time ago, but got the email, so being current is not the issue. check into it, re: murphy's law, and in applying to med, murphy's law exponential. an email can't hurt, and it lets them know they have an awfully *sweet* package coming their way with a gotta-be-doctor attached :)

I guess it is selected few or still in the process of sending out all the emails.

For those who got the email, can you tell us the deadline please. If not too long, do you mind posting what the letter says. Maybe changes etc...

Thanks

BTW. For the lab with 4 people applying to med. Wow... your lab must suck since everyone wants to go to med. Or everyone is there just as a steping stone.

Guest siobhansiobhan

Data provided by OMSAS indicates that you are currently enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate program. As outlined in the OMSAS instructions, graduate applicants must submit the following supplemental information to our office no later than January 6, 2006. With the exception of transcripts, submissions received after this date will not be considered.

· A confidential letter from your supervisor or a member of your thesis committee evaluating your research work and clearly stating the expected date of degree completion. Please note that we expect you to have completed all requirements for your graduate program, including thesis defense if applicable, prior to June 30, 2006. Should you be offered a place in our M.D. program, such offer would be conditional on successful completion of your graduate program requirements by this date. Please ensure that your supervisor is also aware of this fact and confirms in his/her letter that this completion schedule is realistic. Failure to complete by June 30, 2006, will result in the rescinding of any offer of admission that may have been made.

· If you are enrolled in a course-based graduate program, the Coordinator of your program should provide us with a letter evaluating your progress to date and your standing in the program, and confirming that the degree requirements will be fulfilled prior to June 30, 2006.

· A maximum of two additional confidential letters of support from those connected with your graduate program or with work done since the completion of the program.

· Updated graduate transcripts should be sent directly to our office only if you have completed courses in the fall of 2005. Transcripts will be accepted past January 6th if they are unavailable from your Registrar by the stated deadline.

· A copy of your current C.V. Published papers/manuscripts should be shown under a separate heading clearly indicating the status of the paper (e.g., published, in press, submitted, in preparation). The C.V. should include information under the headings of “Abstracts,” “Presentations,” and “Awards.” You should include a section on your C.V. that deals with your extracurricular activities. The time period covered should not date back earlier than age 16.

· Reprints or copies of publications and other documented evidence of research productivity, if applicable. (Please submit only the first page, plus a copy of the abstract.) If a paper has been submitted, or is in press, please provide a copy of the letter or email from the editor/journal involved, indicating the status of the paper. Please do not submit a copy of your thesis.

Due to the volume of material sent to our office, we are unable to provide verbal or written confirmation of receipt. Should you desire verification, please consider a delivery method that provides the sender with a means of confirmation.

Please note that this letter is sent to graduate applicants as a reminder, and does not indicate that material you have already sent has not been received.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact our office.

Deborah L. Coombs, BA(hons), MMS

Coordinator, Admissions & Awards

Doctor of Medicine Program

Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto

Medical Sciences Building 2135

Toronto, ON M5S 1A8

416-978-2715 (v) 416-971-2163 (f)

www.facmed.utoronto.ca

Guest viswaka

Hey,

Thanks for posting the email. I better get a letter ready for them. Also, have you received a letter from OMSAS with your calculated GPA (I have not received one yet).

Thanks

Guest avarrin2001

I received a calculated GPA letter, but I have yet to receive a letter/email about the graduate package - I received one last year. I guess i will email them and ask about it.

Archived