Premed 101 Forums

which university is better

Guest ahmed

Hi all,

I am going to grade 12 this fall.. and I will have to apply to universities sometime before 2006. I don’t want to go out of town for my undergrad... so I am just wonder which university to chose: Ottawa university or Carleton.. so that is which one is better academically and has a better reputation if I want apply to med school or pharmacy school later on.

[This is what I think]:::.. Professional schools (med and pharmacy) don’t care about schools.. as long as u do well in ur program and take the rite course..

[your thoughts are much appreciated]

Thank you in advance

Guest kaymcee

You are absolutely right. It doesn't matter where you go to school.

Read the academic calendar for both schools, which is basically a list of all the courses they offer. If you want to go into genetics (just using it as a random example), look into what each school offers in terms of interesting courses and programs in your area of interest.

Otherwise, just flip a coin, or go with whatever school is cheapest.

Guest doctorinthehouse

I have been to both and also know of other people who have as well. I, personally, feel that carleton has a better program, but Ottawa U is easier. At Ottawa U, they are more likely to raise the class average if it is lower, whereas at Carleton, they don't.

Guest TheShrink

I agree with the above posters to a certain extent, school wise you're not being rated on most popular school when it comes to applying to meds, BUT, if you go to UofO there is a chance that they may favour you as an applicant b/c you went there for your undergrad, doesn't seem too far fetched to me. Good luck.

Guest WoollySheep

CARLETON ROCKS!!!

(a friendly reminder from your local Carleton spirit team)

Don't think about med/pharmacy just yet (well, not too much anyway). You're looking for the school where you'll fit in the best and do the best. If you haven't taken a campus tour yet, you can make an appointment at each school and get a feel for the campus, meet some students and some profs (this can be arranged for you by the tour guides).

Technically it shouldn't matter where you do your undergrad before applying to med school... but there are definitely more pre-meds at U of O than at Carleton. Can be good or bad, depends on your outlook!

C.U.@Carleton (ha ha ha, we're so punny)

Guest shadowguitar

I went to both. I liked Carleton better.

The reason there are more UofO students than Carleton students is because there are generally less premeds at Carleton, so stats-wise you'll see more UofO students in medicine.

I think Carleton gives a better undergrad education. However, as a previous person said, you probably will achieve a higher GPA at UofO. The profs at Carleton aren't as quick to crumble to a bunch of whiny students who didn't get >90% on every exam. Just about every science undergrad student at UofO is gunning for medicine, so it is very common to see protests, petitions, etc... whenever they bomb a test (a "bomb" being <90%). That may also explain more UofO students in medicine.

Guest tutifruiti

Carleton could have a better program. If your goals are clear and that it is in fact harder to get A and A+ at Carleton, then go to UofO.

I did IB (internaational baccalaureate) instead of plain CEGEP, because I thought I could ace even in difficult programs. I paid the price, didn't get into med after IB.

People have to realize that it can be hard to get into medicine and that they should put all your chance on their side.

You still have to study hard to get A's at UofO, rare are classes where more than 10% of the class have A+ (that's what teachers aim). Some classes are easier (ei psychology 101), mandatory classes are harder, you should strategically choose your courses and focus more on certain subjects... Medicine is an art, but getting into meds is also an art... it's the raison d'être of this site.

so even if i study hard it would be hard to get A and A+??? are the profs at carleton not use to giving out A's and stuff or what??? ( let's just forget about the fact that i wana apply to med or whatever) I just wana kno.. cuz whats the point of going to a university and not getting the marks that u deserve

thanks to all for your time and effort

Guest shadowguitar

You will get the marks you deserve at Carleton. If you work hard and study, you will get A's and A+'s. They don't give out those marks to people who don't deserve them, just because the students start whining and petitioning.

I duno what happened to my last post.. but i was just asking shadowguitar about when do we get to register for the courses I want for first year uni. (Note: I will be attending Carleton September 2006)

And would anyone explain to me what Humanities and/or Social Science are.

It would be better if you give me some examples according to Carleton's course selection.

Thanks so much

Guest shadowguitar

I don't know anything about registration at Carleton, it has been a couple of years since I went there. Check their website, or contact the university by phone, they can inform you better than I can.

In answer to your second question:

Humanities = Languages, Philosophy, Music, Art, etc...

Social Sciences = Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, etc...

Guest treehuggingbiologist

As a fourth year carleton student (woo cu! \o/!) ... you don't get to register for classes until you get in, which doesn't happen until april/may next year. then the registration is in august 2006. you can check the requirements for each program on the undergrad calender (http://www.carleton.ca/cuuc) so look that up for what courses you'll have to take.

Archived