Premed 101 Forums

3rd yr applicant

Guest Zuckman

Guest Zuckman

Hey ppl,

None of my friends whove applied after 3rd yr have gotten interviews at Ottawa. However, 4th years tend to get interviews far more easily. Why is this the case? It can't be jsut cause 4th yrs have more time to do more activities.

Zuckerman

Guest circusgirl

I know a handful of 3rd years (me included... wasn't successful in admission though :( ) who have gotten ottawa interviews. If I was to name a trend that I have observed (obviously not any scientific proof to back it up!) it seems that it is the well-rounded (have leadership, sports, volunteer, research) and very extracurricularly active people that end up getting the interviews.

I have heard that pre-interview, the sketches are evaluated by some external entity. I would tend to think that the external entity would not have as much insight into the quality of some activities over others, just judging from the sketch. Thus, people with more activities listed (and people in 4th year or beyond who have more years since the age of 16 to do activities) are at an advantage.

... that is just my guess, though.

cg

From everyone I've met in the past couple of days I agree that Ottawa doesn't take too many 3rd years (actually other than myself, I haven't met anyone else from 3rd year but 1 person did get in last year after 3rd year and deferred). I wish I could comment on what made me or my application different but I'm really not so sure.. I might have had above average research and clinical experience, but who knows if that's what did it.

In terms of # of activities listed.. I "only" had 40 in mine so I don't know if that's it. But I agree that if there's one thing that the class of 09 has in common.. it's that everyone's really social, friendly, and outgoing and I'm guessing those traits play a very big role at the interview stage.

Guest Zuckman

Hey OT6,

I'm wondering, any of ur classmates have no research experience whatsoever. Are there many from unique undergrad backgrounds such as music or english? Did you travel to underdeveloped country? Sometimes this highlights an application from what i've heard.

Zuckerman

Guest Talon01

Ya there's people with a variety of experience/backgrounds (degrees, traveling, work, etc). However, I myself, haven't done any research, I've never job shadowed a Physician, never volunteered in a hospital, but they let me in anyways.

Guest Zuckman

Hey Talon01,

That's pretty cool. You must have really convinced them that you know the life of a physician or else it would be a major risk on their part. You must have some other crazy unique stuff that caught their attention. Everyone does research, hospitals etc so sometimes it is better to do things a lil differently to catch their attention.

Zuckerman

Talon's NOT a plain person.. he's got a lot of personality and like I said before.. that takes you a long way come interview time.

But yah there's a fairly wide variety of backgrounds.. from no previous degrees upto PhDs and there's also a wide range of undergrad institutions.. UOttawa, Mac, Laurentian, a couple of Christian universities. It's a very diverse class.

Archived