Premed 101 Forums

Electives

Guest Konale

Guest Konale

Does anybody know when people usually sign up for electives? I was thinking I'd wait to see what the schedule is like before signing up for anything, but was wondering if we were expected to have already picked one up, and how it's usually done.

Hi Konale,

The first block that you'll begin at UofO is called D and H, or development and homeostasis. It's basically a cornucopia of biology, with some clinical stuff intertwined into the six weeks (i.e. anatomy, biochemistry, genetics, and developmental biology) but with a clinical twist.

When I started in first year at UofO, I didn't actually begin my first elective until after D and H, because I wanted to get acquainted with med school, and see what other things there were to offer. In fact, I didn't start anything until the end of Hematology and Neoplasia (the second block). But, if you are keen on doing electives, my suggestion would be to set one up during D and H, and begin it just after the first exam (so you'll be in the second block). There is an electives catalogue, here is the website:

www.medicine.uottawa.ca/e...index.html

sometimes, you can email preceptors from this description and ask them if you can do an elective with them. Another way to set something up is by word of mouth - i.e. if you speak to other students who have done electives. You can try to speak to some of the second year students about what they've done, and how they set it up.

Good luck with first year, and have fun :)

EJL

Archived