Premed 101 Forums

Deciding between TO and Mac

Guest sierra4412

Guest sierra4412

Hi everyone,

This would be my first post, but I am trying to decide between McMaster and Toronto and would like some advice.

I am leaning toward mac because my boyfriend is currently attending Mac, and because McMasters program is only 3 years. However I know that Toronto has a great reputation.

I am wondering/worried that if I attend Mac I might be missing out on the ability to get a competitive residency position. Does anyone know if Toronto students are favored over Mac students?

Also, if anyone can tell me some reasons why Toronto would be a better school to attend, let me know.

Thanks

Guest shudvbeenafarmer

My two cents:

Go where you will thrive and be happy. Worry less about reputation. If you are where you want to be, you will excel, and get your desired residency on your own merit, irregardless of reputation.

Good luck.

Guest CTU24

it's tough to answer why U of T would be a better school FOR YOU unless we know what you value in a med school

U of T and Mac are very different schools with different strengths and weaknesses. U of T is more structured with some PBL but no where close to the PBL done at Mac. U of T is a 4 year program and Mac a 3 year program. This will give you less time to decide what you want to specialize in...do you know yet or will you need more time? U of T has lots more research opps. I could add lots more, but it's more imp to know what you find imp.

As for relationships, lots of people in 0T8 had long distance relationships much farther than Hamilton that they made work.

As for residency, this has been debated a lot. I doubt there is any significant competitve adv of Mac vs U of T. However, if you want a competitive residency in Toronto it is best to go to U of Tmeds. Also, beware of stats b/c a sig % of Mac students rank family high which cna skew their stats upward.

Best of luck

CTU24

Archived