Premed 101 Forums

why not go to mac

Guest MDFEVER

Guest MDFEVER

I have seen some BHSC graduates from Mac saying that they are going to decline Mac and go to U of T, I would like to know why.

I think they should love PBL approach, aren't they?

Guest wattyjl

yea, change. plus, consider that in the 3yr program, although you will save money and finish (medschool, residency, etc.) a year earlier, it is accelerated. this means no 1st/2nd year summers to pursue interests (medically/non-medically related), probably a quicker pace for learning and digesting material, earlier start on clerkship, etc.

and of course, esp. between mac and toronto there are major differences in how the programs are administered. not everyone, even people who've 'grown up' in with it, love pbl/small group learning. it's a lot of work and responsibility. now i've heard from a number of people that UofT's program is also tons of work, but you basically get handed the notes for what you're expected to memorize, so compared to mac i believe there is relatively little need to search for information on your own.

i have no first-hand experience with either medschool though...

Guest house

wierd cuz i know tons of ppl from mcmaster who go to u of t for medicine and really find a hard time adjusting and actually prefer mac?

Guest AMG82

Hi,

I just finished BHSc at Mac, and there are a few reasons why Mac meds was/ is not a top choice of mine. As mentioned by someone else, I simply need a change of atmosphere ... also, having been familiarized with the PBL style for 4 years and having taken a 4th year class designed/ ran very similarly to what one may encounter in Mac med school, I have realized that I prefer a little more traditional structure. Of course there are important skills that I have gained through my undergrad program that I will continue to use in later learning, but that's the thing - I can still take initiative to learn, access resources, work in small groups to tackle problems, etc., regardless of what school I go to.

Basically, I think favouring a particular teaching style is just a personal thing - and perhaps if it seems a majority of BHSc students want to leave Mac, it's because they simply want to start fresh?

Guest blinknoodle

I also wanted to echo AMG82's comment. As a BHSc graduate who didn't even apply to Mac med school, I also knew that my skills were transferrable to other schools with more traditional learning styles.. which I thought was a bonus of both systems.

Archived