Premed 101 Forums

Books to keep from undergrad?

Guest 0T6

Hey, I was wondering if any of the current UO meds had any reccomendations on whether to keep any books from undergrad, or whether to sell them while they've still got some value. I've got histology, physiology, cellular biology and other relevant texts.. but I mean if the stuff's online or if we use more advanced texts, then I'd love to get rid of em.

Thanks!

Guest FrenchyMed

the only book I ended up using from undergrad was a pathophysio textbook

most undergrad texts are too basic for 1st year meds but can be useful when trying to understand a basic concept before moving on to more in-depth stuff

our class notes are usually pretty complete and you will probably end up buying at least one textbook per block so your old books won't be of much value to you

for example: I have zero background in histology and never felt compelled to check out a histo textbook - the histo slides are made available to us online and at the lab and the exam questions are usually based on those

I would say sell your books while you still can - in med school you'll need every penny you can get your hands on!!!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

One book that I found useful to keep was a basic Immunology text, e.g., Janeway. Although medical school can be much more clinically-oriented, you still need to know the basic immunological mechanisms and cellular players (not only for medical school, but also for the big qualifying exams), and a basic text like the above will stand you in good stead.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived