Premed 101 Forums

MOTP?

Guest byjude

I know of a few. The program in Canada is the MOTP for Medical Officer Training Program. Search and you'll find more info under that, I'm sure.

You probably know the basics -- sign on to get tuition and books and equipment paid, a salary, and you must go into FM residency. You owe 3-4 years after residency depending on when you sign on (what year you're in Med School when you sign up). You can look forward to Basic Officer Training in St Jean Quebec during your first summer, and because the milityary is low on doctors (38% by last count), ther is a signing bonus depending on what year you are in as well (from ~40K in first to 180K in residency).

Expect to work on overseas tours a few times. And expect to be bored in your day to day job on the base. Others may disagree with me, but the word is your skills deteriorate unless you work on your own time in the local ER, etc.

You can't complain about the pay or benefits for starting (little overhead, start at 102K as 1st year captain). It's the intangibles that you may not enjoy. And how many people these days want to commit to FM so early?

B

B

Guest byjude

well.. I'd like to do family/preventitive, and I know the MOTP (thanks for the correction) program offers the chance to specialize further (from a limited number of specialities, of which, preventitive medicine is one). Could be an interesting perspective to bring to preventitive medicine in the long run, but aside from how it sounds on paper, not sure if it's something I'd really want to commit to!

Thanks for the info.

Archived