Premed 101 Forums

ACMC Admissions Requirements

Guest byjude

Guest byjude

blinknoodle posted this link in the McMaster forum, and it might be of interest to others (I'd never seen it before - thanks!)

It's just the Association of Canadian Medical College's guide to all the Canadian med schools - some good stats, and admissions requirements all in one handy place!

www.acmc.ca/2004AdmissionReq/2004AdBk.pdf

Though I have to say, it's pretty intriguing to see the statistics of the general applicant pool - including success rate by age, and by province of residence. It's crazy to see that US applicants have almost the same success rate at getting into Canadian schools as Canadians do!

Meanwhile there's a huge variation in provincial success rates (no surprise there) from a low of 25% in Ontario and 26% in Newf. (or 22% for PEI last year - if you count one anomalous year compared to much higher success in previous years - is this a new policy or just a bad year?) to a high of 50% in Sask. and 60% for the territories (again, an anomalous year).

Also curious - what happened to the applicant pool for USask in 1999? They dropped from 246 applicants (and 21% success) to 75 applicants in 2000 (and 65% success). What's up with that?

Guest bananacreampie

Great Document ByJude

Don't we all wish that we were born in Saskatchewan with that great acceptance rate! I am guessing that their application number went down for a few years there because they were having some funding issues and students were weary of the school, however, I think it has been all figured out.

It is amazing how stringent some provinces are on OOP's, I didn't know that UBC only accepts a maximum of 5 OOP.

Crazy, crazy.

bananacreampie

The reason the applicant number to Sask is down is that USask is on probation for a number of reasons (inadequate facilities, not enough teaching staff, etc.) It's not a big deal as schools get routinely placed on probation by the LCME/CACMS. (Univ of Hawaii and Temple were put on probation by the same agency in the US, and Stanford was threatened with the same action a few years ago.) The provincial gov't will infuse more money into the medical school, and the LCME/CACMS will take them off probation in a year's time. I don't know of any school that has ever lost their accreditation.

Guest klukyboy

In some ways they're stringent, but in others they aren't. For example, I was born and raised in Regina, but I've lived in Calgary and Edmonton since May 2000. However, if you've lived in Sask for more than 15 years, you're considered a permanent resident. Therefore I count as a resident in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Not that I'm arguing! :D

Guest blinknoodle

I'm not sure when Sask went on probation, but I think the med school also imposed MCAT cut-offs in 2000 which also might explain the drop in applicants.

-blinknoodle

Guest arjuna83

I believe another reason they were put on probation is failure to inculcate a PBL section in their curriculum. They were threatened to be stripped of their accreditation in the CMA...at least that's what I heard.

Guest kosmo14

Wow rumours abound.

The truth of the matter is that we were placed on probation simply because our College has been underfunded for far too long. Some of the inadequacies identified were: garbage library, not enough clinical instructors, insufficient supervision of our clerks (ie/ clerks delivering babies by themselves), way too much class time, the need for more integration with Regina teaching.

This happened just over a year ago, so the number of applicants didn't drop due to probation. It is also important to note that the accreditation committee did not criticize the strength of the students coming out of our program. We do just as well on the LMCC exams, our clerks are praised for thier knowledge and abilities everywhere they go, and we still are very successful in the CaRMS match getting all types of specialties including some of the most competitive.

We had a one year follow up visit by the accrediting committee in January. They were pleased with the changes that happened (its amazing how much can change when the government finally gets off thier useless butts and provides money where it is needed). The full accreditation committee will be meeting in June to decide our status. I am fairly confident that our probation status will be lifted then, one year earlier than expected.

As far as the drop in application numbers. It stems from the fact that the UofS brought in the MCAT requirements in 1999 effectively dropping the number of applicants in 2000. Since then it has gradually increased, although not as high as many other provinces. One thing everybody must remember is that Saskatchewan has a fairly small population (also a fair amount of that population has limited resources and we all know that the trend in Med. schools is to have students from families with higher incomes) spread out over a very large area. We have great difficulty recruiting from rural and northern communities and therefore we essentially draw a lot of our student population from two small size cities. Since we only accept max. 6 OOP applicants and the standards for OOP are pretty high our application pool is fairly small.

I hope this clears up some misconceptions.

BTW klukyboy I would watch the dual residency thing. Technically you are only allowed to declare one province as your primary residence.

Guest bananacreampie

I know multiple people who somehow claim more than one province as their home province. I didn't know there was an actual rule about this, can the med schools find this out or do they even care?

oh well, bananacreampie

Guest kosmo14

I too know people that have done this, and generally I don't think anybody knows or really cares, but it could come up in an interview as it did in mine. I had residency in two provinces, and one of the interviewers figured it out when I told them about myself as they figured out that I lived in another province for quite a few years. They asked me why I choose SK. as my place of residency, which I did. If you choose to put both places as your primary residence then you will either have to tell them that or lie (which might I add is the worst thing you can do in an interview). So it is one of those things that may not get noticed but could come up so why put yourself in that situation. I am not sure about an official rule against it as I never looked into it furthur than asking the admissions person here and in my other province of eligibility and they both told me I could only use one.

Guest klukyboy

I had to apply for special consideration because I reside out of province (long story - it's in the Sask forum). I told them at that time that I was a dual resident applying under the 15 year rule. They approved my request so they obviously didn't care. The Sask gov't was (is? - I have no TV) running ad campaigns to encourage people who have left the province to return. Perhaps this is an extension of the logic behind that campaign.

Archived