Premed 101 Forums

Personality

Guest Brutus

Guest Brutus

Hello... I've been poking around here for a little bit and have a question for you guys. I was wondering if it's possible to get accepted into Med. School if you don't have the 'typical' personality of the average applicant.

I'm a high school student planning to get a degree in medical laboratory science. Now, lets assume four/five years down the road that I have competitive GPA and MCAT scores, research experience, no volunteer experience, and poor interview skills... is it at all possible to get into Med. School?

I'm pretty introverted.. not very empathetic.. This means I probably won't have any volunteer experience, (if I do it will be for selfish reasons, so why bother?), and it also means I'll probably do somewhat poor on the interviews. (assuming I get that far).

So, once again, do you folks think I could have a shot at getting in? Assuming marks are high and recommendations sound? The reason I ask is that I'm considering a career in pathology. I still have a lot of time to change my mind, end up with a 2.0 GPA, etc... But regardless, assuming the above hypothetical happens, I'd appreciate any input on my chances.

Thanks for your time.

Yeah, I would say it's possible to get in... but not at every med school you apply to. Certain schools stress certain things and look for certain personality traits (For example, MacMaster probably looks for more "mature" applicants, whatever that means). There are some research heavy schools that are more focused on numbers and less on personality. (Wash U in the US especially, UT in Canada.) Thing is, we need doctors in every specialty right now, so if you want to be a pathologist, I think that's great! Not many people aspire to be a pathologist and I have a lot of respect for those that choose the field.

Guest Lactic Folly

I doubt there is a 'typical' personality, although of course there are key characteristics that medical schools look for (integrity, motivation, interpersonal skills, etc.). When I was in high school, I had this idea that one also needed to be outgoing and athletic, which isn't so. I'm definitely more of an introvert, and I'm sure there will be a whole range of personalities in med school :) .

I do consider myself empathetic though, and the rest of your post gives me pause. When you say 'selfish' reasons, do you mean that your only reason for volunteering would be to bolster your med application, or is it in the sense that your motivation comes from the intrinsic reward? If the former, then I'd say there is a problem.

Medicine is a service profession, and even in pathology, you are still working in a team environment and your work will have an impact on patient care. This is why they look for volunteer work as a measure of your interest in service (barring circumstances preventing you from extracurriculars), and ask you about it in your interviews. A poor interview can and will get you rejected.

If you are truly committed to medicine, I'd think you would go out and work on your interview skills, get some volunteer experience, etc. during the next 4-5 years. However, I'd encourage you to look closely at your reasons for pursuing medicine, and whether or not it is suitable for you (and it's ok not to have this figured out yet at this early stage). In the years to come, you may discover things about your personality and develop skills that you have not imagined yet. I know I did (and my volunteering certainly helped!).

Guest Dunes

Hi there,

I don't want to discourage you or to sound mean, but I think that even if you have the best GPA and the best MCATs, medicine will be the last thing that you will like to be doing since you mentioned that you are introverted and had a hard time being empathic. Medicine involves being with many strangers on daily basis, and listening to them (empathically) is one of the most important things a doctor should be doing because without it he/she might not trust you with their life, and they won't connect with you. Communication is vital.

From what I see, I think that you enjoy the science part of medicine (you said pathology), so the best route for you is to go into research in my opinion. There are many great opportunities in pathology research where you can be yourself and help people at the same time. I think that the medical lab. idea is great too :)

The most important thing is for you to really think (is medicine for me, why do I want to pursue it), and then think about the details of getting in later. You're still in high school and you have the whole world open for you, so explore it.

If you really really love to get into medicine, then I encourage you to start volunteering even if you think you don't like it. I have a friend who also calls herself introverted, and she always thought that she can never deal with people, but few years back she started trying things and she totally changed! You might love working with people after a while. It all needs getting used to, so don't give it up just because you think you are "introverted". I'm not sure where you're from, but at UBC they offer workshops that develop your communication and empathy skills (amongst other skills). You should check this out because it's worth a try and it will help you not only for medicine but for any profession you'll pursue.

Hope this helps so take care and good luck,

Dunes ;)

Guest Lactic Folly

Just to add: it's mainly the tone of the post (esp. re: service) that concerned me (and it's hard to convey in this medium). I would encourage you not to count yourself out by saying you will 'probably' interview poorly, for what you believe shapes the actions you take and ultimately your future. I don't think introversion (as defined by Jung and measured by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) is a problem at all.

Ways that introversion has been beneficial for me:

-better listener, which helps with communication and empathy

-sharpened observational skills

-less discomfort with spending time alone, good for self-learning and studying

-synthesize info internally, think before speaking

Recognize and draw upon your strengths :)

P.S. Not all volunteer positions are designed for 'people persons,' and you can still accomplish a lot working solo.

By all means, I think you should apply. If you plan on working as a forensic pathologist, a strictly anatomical pathologist or a laboratory pathologist, the only people you'd be interacting with are other physicians and other people who don't exactly care if you're a people person, if you catch my drift. You're honesty is refreshing, and personally, I appreciate it.

Guest marbledust

I agree. I am extremely introverted (except when I am writing on a message board :) ) and I found it wasn't an issue with regards to gaining admission. It has been very difficult for me in terms of the amount of talking and interaction I have to do with others (patients, doctors, fellow medical students) - and I am only in first year! However, it is getting easier because I do love medicine and the thought of helping people, and this is encouraging me to become more extroverted. As mentioned in a previous post, introversion can be a good quality in medicine for a number of reasons.

As for having a lack of empathy - that's probably not something that can be overcome or "hidden" like introversion can. I hate to say it, but you probably wouldn't make a great doctor if you can't empathize with your patients. Even the most (insert expletive here) surgeons I have seen who put on airs of extreme detachment have obvious empathy for their patients. I think empathy is a quality essential in a physician - more important than just about anything else (in my opinion).

If you are interested in lab medicine and research, there are other routes than an MD. A PhD may get you to where you want to be. Even if you get accepted and plan to practice as a pathologist or other lab specialty, you need to get through medical school and all that entails in terms of "dealing with people." In a pathology residency you still need to do a general year where you rotate through surgery, emergency, etc. And pathologists do need to interact significantly with other physicians and hospital staff.

Why do I know this? Being as painfully shy as I am, pathology was one of my main interests when I decided to go for medicine because I thought it would have the lest contact with other people. It isn't any more for a number of reasons (not negative ones).

I sound very discouraging - please don't take this as something meant to totally discourage you. But you should do some research and see if medical school really would be the right choice for you. Maybe grad school and a PhD would be more appropriate for your interests.

Good luck

Guest sn0w0wl

While there are certain traits common among doctors that the admissions committee will look for (eg. maturity, honesty, integrity), I have the feeling that there is room in medicine for lots of different personalities, so being introverted is not a disadvantage (great comments above!). I have heard too that different years can have different "flavours" of applicants depending on the dean or whatever, eg. one years may have lots of varsity athletes, other years lots of non-science, fine arts types. You can't do anything about this.

My two cents is this:

1. You are young, and have a long way to go (4-5 years) and you WILL change in that time. You may decide medicine is not the best choice for you, so HAVE A BACKUP PLAN. My philosophy has always been to keep as many doors open as possible (hence my path to medicine was not a straight line). Also, you may feel less shy and more empathetic as you get older... you'll just have to see.

2. The admissions committee WILL look for well-rounded applicants. There is more to life than school. Research experience is really nice, but in my opinion, you need extracurriculars (eg. sports, arts, whatever), including volunteer experience or not. (By the way, why not volunteer in a research setting, if that is your thing? There are endless opportunities out there, there should be something for everyone.)

3. The admissions committee also wants to know that YOU know what you are getting into, that you know what being a doctor means. I think that is why volunteering in a health care setting can be an advantage, because you can see the way things are. It helps you too if you end up not pursuing medicine because of it--wouldn't you be glad you realized medicine wasn't for you BEFORE you spent $100,000 and 4+ years at it?

4. If you know your weaknesses, why not do something about them? For example, I am definitely an introvert, and used to be really nervous speaking in front of people. I knew in grad school I'd have to give lots of seminars, etc, so I joined a speaking club, and I am so glad I did, if only for my confidence. Now I'm actually teaching an undergrad course on giving science presentations--two years ago, I never would have guessed I could do that. Challenge yourself, try out leadership roles, get experience...

Okay so that was more than 2 cents. I'll get off my soap box.

Good luck.

PS. Can't you do pathology research without an MD? Something to consider.

Guest Brutus

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone. I've already considered most of what's been said, but you've given me some good points to think about.

If there is a path to pathology (hah.. haha..) that doesn't require going through Med. School, that would be ideal. I just assumed you HAD to go through it. I'll look into that.

Thanks again.

Guest byjude

The previous posts have a lot of good information, and I would say it's really hard to say with clear cut precision what would or would not make someone a good doctor.

Introversion will not make someone a bad doctor. Introverts tend to listen more than they talk, so they may be more receptive to the unspoken evidence presented by a patient. A strong enjoyment of social activities is not a prerequisite for medical practice, though empathy probably is more important, at least, having the capacity for empathy. However, I doubt that every medical student and every doctor today is empathetic - they may claim to be, but the competitive behaviour of premeds who deface and destroy reserve course materials in undergrad classes to prevent their peers from doing well argues that their "desire to help people" is more than a little ironic.

As a fellow introvert, I've grappled with this decision myself. I like the science of medicine, I like being involved in decision making, and I like to be able to help people, but at the same time, I would like to work in a job that balances social time with alone time - it's not that I don't like working with people, but socialization is more draining for me than energizing, so I need to balance it with other activities like reading, writing, etc.

The most inspiring piece of advice was given to me by a medical doctor that I consulted a few years ago, in attempt to decide whether medicine was truly right for me, or if I should instead focus on an academic area that relates to medicine. She said that it takes all types of people to be doctors. And this is very true. This is why there are specialties - because not every person can be a quick-thinking ER doc or surgeon, or an outgoing family doc, just as not everyone can enjoy their own company enough to pursue less patient-interactive specialties like pathology or laboratory medicine.

The point is, if it's something you think you would like to do, learn more about the area and similar areas. If pathology is really what suits you best, then you can find a way to become a pathologist if you work hard and emphasize what makes you great rather than trying to be like everyone else. You can get into medicine with no volunteering experience, if you have some kind of experience outside of school (work perhaps) along with good grades, but who is to say you can't volunteer? Not all volunteering positions involve cheering up sick people or reading to children - you could volunteer to do statistical analysis in a hospital, for example.

A good idea would be to contact some people who work in the area of interest. Contact your local pathologist, or academic researchers who specialize in anatomy, or even forensic scientists, ask to borrow their time for 20-30 minutes so that you can ask some questions about their career path. A lot of professionals are willing to spend the time helping the next generation find its way. There are also a lot of informative websites - for instance, associations of professionals in various areas of work often offer advice for young people who wish to enter that line.

Ultimately - if you find out that this path really is what you want to pursue, then there's no reason why you couldn't get into medicine as an introvert. However, medical school itself still requires a lot of teamwork and patient skills development. If these are areas that you are not an expert in, but wouldn't mind improving on, then med school may be a good place to develop them, but if they are areas that you would rather not learn at all, then you may wish to investigate further into the non-medical areas of laboratory medicine.

Archived