Premed 101 Forums

Thank you Gift

Guest Natalia22

Guest Natalia22

I did a research project this semester, and I was wondering if I should give a small gift of thanks to my supervisor, and if so what should I give. Also, although I finish my project this week there is still a month unitil the end of the semester and before my supervisor has to hand in my mark. So, she might view the gift as sort of a "bribe". At the same time, I don't want to wait until May to give her something. Any advice would be apreciated.

Thanks,

Nat

Guest turtle

i would think that if you already have a good rapport with your supervisor, she won't think of it as a bribe at all. (unless you give her something super expensive!!;) )

As for what to give, you could just go with a card, or some typical things like a bottle of wine, a book you think she might enjoy, chocolates, etc. I think it was Kirsteen who once mentioned that she has given Starbucks gift-cards as gifts before, which sounds good (pretty much everyone could get some use out of that). Another thing I like are those really nice bottles of cooking oil...you know the ones that have herbs/peppers/etc in them...they look pretty & taste good! those are just some thoughts...

turtle

Guest sn0w0wl

My advice would be to go with a card. Instructors are well aware that student budgets are tight, and I think a well-worded, sincere card (especially one made yourselft, eg with a photo) would be much more meaningful and less likely to induce guilt.

I have struggled to find nice thank you cards for my referees, especially the male ones, (all the cards in dollar stores are so cutesy floral) so I ended up making my own. I scanned some nice landscape/nature photos I took, then just used MS word to make a layout, and had our uni print shop print them out in colour on a thin, glossy cardboard paper--they actually look pretty nice, and cost little to make. Staples etc carries invitation-size envelopes to match with them (they fit a quarter of a 8.5x11 sheet real nice).

Good luck

Guest Chowchilla

i need to get a gift for my prof and supervisor as well, but a card just seems so ... small. i could give it to both of them after the marks are in, so that isn't a problem.

something not too expensive, but nice.

Archived