Premed 101 Forums

Money.

Guest Ragnar

Guest Ragnar

Hi,

Me again:o

Still thinking about how to pick a school...

I am wondering what role money plays in your decision on a med school. I spoke to a resident the other day who said if he could do it over again, he'd have gone to a place with cheaper tuition, e.g. Calgary or McGill, because as a resident he only gets paid about 40, 000 and he finds it hard to make ends meet (bills, paying back loans etc.). I know that's a very one-sided thing, but what do you think it's worth as one criterion to consider?

Guest arjuna83

I don't think you should emphasize the issue of tuition fees too strongly in your decision towards choosing a good medical school. I know some schools charge higher than others, but it won't really make a significant impact on your ability to pay back once your done, if you end up going to one of those expensive schools. I think curriculum, learning styles, research potential, teaching hospitals etc. should be the primary areas you should be considering when selecting a school.

I'm pretty sure any overworked resident would relate to the resident you spoke to. After all, it could get really overwhelming during those long and tedious hours of residency. However, that's only the beginning of the road. Things can only get better from there right?

Bottom line: tuition fees shouldn't be one of the prime factors of your school choice

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The $35,000-odd tuition certainly didn't help increase my interest in some of the US schools out there. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest MdotDdot

ya, but the US schools that have I have visited have way better facilities than any school in Canada. The money is a lot, but it sure is luxurious going to school in the US. Do we have simulation labs here as yet? and boy are their good looking people in med school.:lol

Guest Sarah371

I would argue the comment about US schools having better facilities....the best clinical skills centre I saw was at Queen's (and I interviewed at a number of schools on the eastcoast in the States) and I have heard a lot of good things about the UofT surgical skills labs....you do have to remember that a lot of the private schools in the States are attached to private hospitals...patients paying a large amount of money for their health care do not want medical students practicing on them.

As for tuition PGY1 in Ontario start at 44,230 this year with 1000 extra for equipment and books 4 weeks vacation and 5 working days from the December 24-January 2. Not to bad a deal if you ask me.

As stated above I would not worry too much about tuition or choose a school based on it....your earning potential is going to increase so significantly after med school that you should be able to pay it off....even if it is over time. As Kirsteen said if you look at the 35,000 a year the US charge 15,000 Canadian does not seem so bad. And as my parents always say education and real estate are always good investments.

I don't think there is such a discrepancy in tuition anymore... Until this year U of A and U of C had low tuition compared to Ontario, but they hiked it up this year and are paying a lot more.

Archived