Premed 101 Forums

chances

Guest willsanna

Guest willsanna

I am an engineering graduate from university of waterloo. I am preparing myself to apply to medical schools in Ontario.

However, people are discouraging me to apply to schools in Ontario, or even in Canada. Their main reason is that I was not born in Canada even though I did my high school and university very successfully here. I am quite good at English and I kept good average through high school as well as during university. I want to work in Canada, not in US.

I have 2 questions.

1) Is it true that I have very slim chance to get into a med school in Ontario because of my background:\ ?

2) I still have to take my Life Science and Chemistry courses at U of T. I am planning to take BIO150Y1, CHM138H1 and CHM139H1. Would that suffice the Life Science requirements for U of T?

Thank you.

Willsanna

Guest arjuna83

Hi Wilsanna,

As long as your a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you'll be fine with medical schools in Ontario.

However, you might need to do one more life science course. You've mentioned that you will be taking BIO150Y. That counts for only 1 full credit. For UofT meds you need 2 full life-science credits. Remember, at UofT Chemistry and Physics are NOT considered as life science courses.

Arjuna

Guest willsanna

Hi there:

What other life science course I may be able to take parallel to BIO150Y1? For most of the courses I have seen in Life Science listings for U of T, I don't see any other course I could take without taking BIO150Y1.

Thanks,

Willsanna

Guest arjuna83

Hi,

I know, many (most) of the upper year bio courses require BIO150 as a pre-requisite. You could try taking first year psychology, as UofT considers that life science as well.

Guest willsanna

I appreciate your response. This is one of the friendliest and helpful forums I have been to. I believe it is accurate to say that everybody contributes to answer many questions in this forum also contribute to creating doctors for Canada.

Thanks,

Willsanna

Guest Steve U of T

It may be possible to have the prerequisites waived for some upper year life science courses. BIO150 is a prerequisite for many upper year courses, although realistically, there is no specific knowledge you gain from it that is necessary for those upper year courses. If you speak with the profs of some of the 2nd year classes, you may be able to get in. I know of a commerce student who was allowed to take BIO250, BCH210 and HMB265 without ever taking BIO150. I think he was allowed to do this because of a thorough chemistry background. If you contact the profs, you may be able to do the same.

Guest willsanna

If a Life Science course does not have labs, would it still be valid for the Life Science requirement of U of T and other medical schools?

Would you recommend taking Life Science courses with labs or without labs? What are the reasons?

Thanks,

Willsanna

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Yes, I believe a Life Sciences course without a lab component will still be acceptable to programs such as UofT. Generally, if a school wishes you to have a lab component, they'll state that upfront.

Would you recommend taking Life Science courses with labs or without labs? What are the reasons?

For one, if your strength does not lie in writing traditional exams, i.e., memorization and recall, then a science course with a lab may help boost your marks relative to those that do not have such components. Although they are the bane of some existences, and they can take up a good deal of weekly/bi-weekly time to complete, lab reports offer a different way of accumulating course marks.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived