Premed 101 Forums

does this count as research experience?

Guest 4shattered4

Guest 4shattered4

What would my volunteering experience count as if I've worked in a research lab, but hardly actually done any research/lab work? i.e. Most of the stuff I've done this summer are capsulation, labelling, photocopying, and very rarely, mixing stuff or taking readings. It doesn't really seem like lab work, but it's pretty hard to get research experience when you're just starting out. Do you think there's potential that I'll be given better work if I stay @ this place longer or should I just pursue some other locations next summer?

Now that you have some preliminary experience, I'd say you should definitely explore other available opportunities - I'm sure there will be a lot more.

Guest peachy

Imho, this is really a situation where you need to have a chat with your supervisor. There is no need to guess about whether you will be given increased responsibility next year, your supervisor will be able to tell you!

That said, if you aren't comfortable working this lab, there is no reason to stay there. If you look, there are MANY opportunities for undergraduate students to get meaningful research experiences.

If I could go back and give myself one piece of advice about research jobs from when I was starting undergrad, it would be to be more choosy. You don't have to stick with the first opportunity that comes by - if you search for something that is perfect for you, you'll find it!

Guest 4shattered4

thanks for the replies! I was just wondering though, since most of the better positions for next year (I'm going into first year in Sept) want previous exp. Should I still include what I did this summer? It really doesn't seem to be much, and I don't want to be dishonest....I have done minimal "research" type work, i.e. for like 2 days, but then again, I have come in contact w/ it. Also, I was in a mentorship program where we did research, would that count?

Guest aneliz

Yes it would count. Even though the experience you have may be minimal, it is still more than none! It will be up to the supervisor to determine if it is 'enough' to satisfy their requirement for experience. Sometimes, you will find that you can get somebody to hire you (even without experience) if you demonstrate enthusiasm, intelligence and a willingness to learn.

Archived