Premed 101 Forums

Deferring for non-academic reasons

Guest avisee

Guest avisee

Many med schools seem to offer the opportunity to defer admission for a year or two to finish a degree. Does any school consider requests for deferral for other reasons? (eg, to work, volunteer, or pursue an internship)

Guest aneliz

You will need to check this individuallly with each med school that you are interested in. Not all med schools grant deferrals... as an example, UWO VERY rarely will grant a deferral at all... and will not grant a deferral for any of the reasons that you outlined (or to finish a degree). UWO asks that you not apply until you are ready to start med. About the only reasons that deferrals have been granted to UWO students is 'major' life events happening after the acceptance was granted... things like major illness, deaths, crisis, etc.

Guest peachy

I think that U of T will offer deferrals to almost anyone who requests it, but I don't know what their official policy is ... I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you. :)

Guest Sarah371

Queen's grants deferrals for non academic reasons like having a baby etc....but they have a set number of spots so if they are all gone I think you are out of luck.

Archived