Premed 101 Forums

Question for Kirsteen - Job Supervisor as a Reference?

Guest CommerceStudent

Guest CommerceStudent

Hi Kirsteen,

Just wanted to tap your business background and see if you had any advice on reference letters. Currently, I've asked 2 profs to write references and after reviewing some of the questions on the OMSAS form, I'm thinking about asking my job supervisor of 4 months (at a bank) to write the other one. Originally, I was gonna ask my undergrad program director and though he knows about the things I do, I haven't taken a class or worked closely with him.

Do you think having 2 profs and 1 job supervisor would hurt my application in any way? Since I didn't ask a doctor or a community service person to write one, I'm curious to know how they'd look at it. Thanks so much.

Guest avisee

I'm not Kirsteen, but I guess a variety of opinions can't help. In terms of Canadian universities (compared to some in the US), most seem to welcome diversity amongst your references. Using a job supervisor may provide insight into a completely different side of your personality than what a professor or program director might see. While your professors may see your academic interest and study ethic, they may not necessarily see how you work in a team, or with the public, or what your work ethic is when you are supporting the goals of others (in this case, your bank and the community) rather than personal goals for high marks and entry to professional programs.

The best thing to look for in a referee is in-depth knowledge of who you are and why you would make a good physician. While working with someone for 4 months isn't necessarily the longest period, the fact that you worked with this person on a full-time daily basis makes up for that. Although your program director may have known you over a few years and can comment on your growth, that's about all he can comment on - your job supervisor is the one who can comment on the everyday you, not just the one who comes out for the occasional meeting.

Someone else with more experience with admissions committees may have better insight on this, but as far as I can tell, using your bank supervisor would likely make a much better reference than your program director on pretty much all counts. If you really wanted to use the program director, you might considering substituting him for one of your professors to increase the diversity of perspective. But if your professor knows you better than the program director, it might make more sense to go with the two profs and bank supervisor.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there CommerceStudent,

avisee's got some great advice there: if your job supervisor can make in-depth, vivid comments about most or (ideally) all of the facets requested on the OMSAS form, then you've got yourself a strong reference letter writer. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest CommerceStudent

Thanks very much for the advice avisee & kirsteen. I imagine that you've posted this b4, but could I trouble you to post the references you chose? Thanks again!

Archived