Premed 101 Forums

residence/room problem, need advice

Guest dentisthopeful

Guest dentisthopeful

hi everyone, I applied to an off-campus housing near UBC, (St. Andrews Hall, for those who know). I just found out the only girl's bathroom there has just 2 each of stalls, shows and washing basins. Would it be too crowded for 16 girls to share?

Guest aneliz

Can't tell you for sure... but I lived in res at the University of Guelph for 3 years... and we had one bathroom (with two stalls, two sinks, two showers) for an entire wing of girls to share (min. 12 girls). I never found it to be a problem... in three years, I think that I waited for a shower to come available once...and that was about a 5 minute wait. The rest of the time, there was always one of whatever I needed to use available when I went down there.

Everyone has different schedules... some like to shower at night, some shower at 5 AM, some don't get out of bed until 10. Some go to the gym every morning and then shower their before going on to school. The other thing is, with the set up of stalls, it means that you can have >1 person in the bathroom at one time... we often had 'bathroom parties' where there would be a person in each shower and about 4 people sharing the sinks to brush teeth, etc. It all worked out, and there were some great conversations!

I don't think that sharing should be a problem...however, I guess it depends on your feelings about sharing with other people.

dentisthopeful,

I wouldn't sweat it, really.

I was in a similar setting at my place of residence this past year (2 showers, 3 stalls and 4 wash basins between approx. 16 males). It was honestly MUCH better than expected. It was never filthy (albeit, we had a maid who would clean the entire washroom once a day).

As well, to mimic aneliz, I've only waited for a shower once throughout 2 terms and it was more of a surprise than a nuisance. Believe it or not, I'd catch a few of my floormates in the washroom, at 1 month intervals.

Guest avisee

I shared a bathroom with 3 stalls and 2 showers with about 10 girls in a program where we all had the exact same 8:30 class, but even with the same schedule, it wasn't a huge problem in the bathroom. The only thing I found was that it was wise not to plan to shower after 7:45, just in case I couldn't get in, but even then it wasn't really a problem on the few days I snuck in at that time. Many people tend to have routines when it comes to the bathroom (especially showering) so even if there is some major problem where four of your floormates absolutely HAVE to shower at the same time you like to, you might find that you tend to adapt your schedules to fit one another. Twelve people is relatively few, almost enough that you may come to memorize when everyone else prefers to shower, so as long as you are flexible with your times or willing to discuss scheduling with your floormates, you should be more than fine.

I subletted an apartment once with four girls and one bathroom (though one girl had her own ensuite toilet/sink). Despite the fact that we all left within 20 minutes of one another in the morning, we were able to draft a shower/bathroom schedule so that this was not a problem.

Archived