Premed 101 Forums

Summer courses...which schools count it

Guest hazard

Guest hazard

Alrighty then...after failing to find the answer to my question from the "general premed discussion" archives I've decided to write this post.

Which schools look at summer courses?

I am writing my MCATs and applying to medical schools that I am eligle for this coming fall as I enter fourth year. Chances are I probably wont get in because of a low GPA but I might as well gain the experience of applying.

I finally got my grades up this year, got my first A+ etc. Regardless according to schools in the states and other schools in Canada english is a requirement. So I took ENG140 during the summer. The course till now has been two in-class essays which i have received a C and C+ for. Because its a 100 level course and I have already taken 6 100 level credits previously, the mark I receive from this course will not be counted towards my undergrad GPA at U of T.

However, I am finding out (shouldv'e found out earlier :rolleyes ) that this course may count towards the GPA shown on my application for some medical schools I will apply to this fall and to schools i will apply to in the future.

So coming back to the original point of this post.

Which schools count summer courses?

Thanks alot

Guest hazard

Thanks everyone

for your replies

Just to correct Kirsten (by the way congrats on your recent acceptance).....

Spring/Summer Courses

Usually, courses taken during spring and summer sessions are not counted in the full-time study requirement nor the grade point average requirement but are considered by the admissions committee during the file review.

This was taken from the calgary website...

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there hazard,

Usually, courses taken during spring and summer sessions are not counted in the full-time study requirement nor the grade point average requirement but are considered by the admissions committee during the file review.
You're absolutely correct re: summer courses not being included in the two-year GPA requirement and cut-point. However, all courses are used to determine whether or not you receive an interview, i.e., they do become part of your academics that are reviewed to give you an academic score, and the 2-year GPA calculation is not. Also, as you pointed out, all courses are also used during the final selection process. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived