Premed 101 Forums

Validity of first aid & CPR

Guest archchivalry

Guest archchivalry

Hello.

I'm pretty surprised that this question is not

posted yet..

either I couldn't find it or it is so obvious.

I found out that ontario med schools require

first aid and CPR certificate.

How long does the certificate last and

how long does it take to obtain any?

Is first aid and CPR different thing?

Thank you for reply.

To get your Standard First Aid and Level C CPR for the first time takes 2 full days (at least through St. John Ambulance). Your Standard First Aid needs to be updated every 3 years. Your CPR technically lasts forever...but they recommend you update it every year. First Aid and CPR are considered different things...but most courses teach both at the same time.

Guest Ollie

While first aid and CPR are always good things to have, you don't need to worry about it wrt to med school right now. It's not needed for either application or acceptance. In the acceptance packages from UofT, we got a form we had to send it with either our current valid certification, or saying that we would be getting it soon. Apparently the class will sometimes organize a first aid/CPR session together, and it can be cheaper than doing it by yourself.

Guest archchivalry

Thanks guys for the answers.

Ollie, is it like that for all med schools in Ontario?

So, it's not too late to get it after the acceptance?

I think that will be better because it will

be fresh in my mind.

Guest tweep0

Hey archchivalry,

I was under the impression that all schools require certification (Standard First Aid + Basic Rescuer C) before the first day of class. We need to show proof of completion at Western this year. In any case, if you are planning on taking the course solely for medical school (as opposed to saving someone's life), then I would wait until you receive acceptance into a medical school. You have plenty of time after to take the course prior to the first day of class. Hope that helps.

Tweep

Guest ClimbOn

Hi Archchivalry

Don't worry too much about first aid. It's 80% common sense and 20% anatomy. If you get accepted, you should have no problem getting certified. I actually had to renew my CPR-C after getting accepted at Western.

Guest Agent999

SFA and CPR certification is not a definite requirement for medschool acceptance; you can still get in without it. However, it will be strange to me, or to public eyes, that a medstudent does not know the basics of handling an medical emergency, ie. bandaging, CPR, Hemlich's manuver etc.

Archived